• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Upcoming rib cookoff

tarhog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am considering entering my first comp in a couple weeks. I emailed the event coordinator and asked what kind of ribs (spares) and how many I had to cook. She responded that it is a case. How many racks exactly are in a case? I only have a Weber smokey mountain and Weber 23 grill. I don't want to commit to something overwhelming. Sorry if this has been asked before but thanks for any help.

Quite the challenge. Just how many go to be judged and how many are for the general public? I'm just doing the math and it equals a lot of ribs.

All depends on how the organizer is setting it up. Could be all public tasting, could be 6-8 bones for judging and the rest for the public. If they are asking for a case, they better be providing them.

Best to ask the organizer for the rules and specifics of their event.

Thanks Ron L, I contacted coordinator and she said I was to cook half the night before and the other half at the event. I can handle that but is that a common practice at stateside events? Sounds kinda sketchy to me. I understand and practice safe food handling but not sure all that enters these things do. Any suggestions for having at least decent ribs the following day at 1pm? And are trimming spares typically frowned upon? Anybody?

All depends on how the organizer is setting it up. Could be all public tasting, could be 6-8 bones for judging and the rest for the public. If they are asking for a case, they better be providing them.

Best to ask the organizer for the rules and specifics of their event.

It's a $150 entry fee and they supply a voucher for the ribs. My place of work will sponsor me so that's a big help.

Thanks Ron L, I contacted coordinator and she said I was to cook half the night before and the other half at the event. I can handle that but is that a common practice at stateside events? Sounds kinda sketchy to me. I understand and practice safe food handling but not sure all that enters these things do. Any suggestions for having at least decent ribs the following day at 1pm? And are trimming spares typically frowned upon? Anybody?

I haven't cooked a competition where they provided the ribs, but cooking half at home and half on site seems odd. I would worry about the quality of the ones cooked at home since they would have to be reheated.

You definitely want to trim the spares. You probably want to trim them down to 10-11 bones, or they wont fit on the Weber 22" very well. If you have a Weber 18", you are going to have to go down to 8-9 bones.

I have seen a few "competitions" that are really organizers trying to get free food prep for their festivals. They ask for an unreasonable amount of food and there is very little benefit for the cookers. Sounds like this could be in that category. Not that they aren't supporting good causes, but don't really provide much of a contest experience for the people that choose to sacrifice and go compete in a competitions.

So by sounds sketchy, I think you might be right.

I would check with your local health department about that rep’s request for you to “cook half at home”. Unless your kitchen has been inspected and certified by the health department, that is not going meet code requirements for service to the public. At least, that’s what would be required in NorCal. Call your health department as “better safe than sorry”. And after that call, I imagine they’ll want to get ahold of that rep themselves...

Back