• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Tacos, Mexican Rice, and Refried Beans.

How do you do the smoked pork stock? You making the stock and then adding smoke to it in your pit? Or the bones are smoked? I've wondered about throwing the stock in there after I'm done making it for some extra smoky flavor, but worried about it not coming out the way I picture. Right now I take the bones from the smoked butts, or I smoke the bones after I cut them out of the butts when I'm grinding sausage, and then I make it all up into stock that way. I've been using my pressure cooker since I got it. Let it run for about an hour, and those bones become jelly mush. So awesome. Might have to throw it on the smoker after I strain that and see what happens.

Injecting butts with pork stock CANNOT be beaten man. I love that stuff so much. I've had a few people act completely shocked when I talk about pork stock. Can't disrespect those bones man! Especially when it tastes so good.

I've just been taking the bones from piggys I've cooked and throwing 'em in a pot of water with onions, celery, peppercorns, carrots, and all that other type stuff and letting it simmer for a long time then remove/strain the solids and reduce. The smoke flavor is from the initial cook of the pig - and I've saved bones from butt cooks and used those as well.

Man - throwing the bones in the smoker before making the stock - I may have to check that out. I'm pretty happy with the level of smoke flavor I'm getting now, but that sounds like some next level chit worth trying. :thumb:

And I'm telling ya - next time you grind up some sausage, throw a little pork stock in there. Drippings from chuckies or briskets work great as well - nice deep flavor there.

Great looking plate! Always trips me out to see tacos in flour tortillas, just not seen here in SoCal.

Yeah truth be told I'm a corn tortilla guy myself. I'm just not choosy enough when it comes to making the tacos, and my wife, and every single one of my sons prefers flour tortillas. I just cave for the most part on that, they don't bother me, but I grew up with corn tortillas. When it comes to enchiladas if the family insists on flour ones I'll still whip up some corn tortillas and make myself some actual freaking enchiladas.

I've just been taking the bones from piggys I've cooked and throwing 'em in a pot of water with onions, celery, peppercorns, carrots, and all that other type stuff and letting it simmer for a long time then remove/strain the solids and reduce. The smoke flavor is from the initial cook of the pig - and I've saved bones from butt cooks and used those as well.

Man - throwing the bones in the smoker before making the stock - I may have to check that out. I'm pretty happy with the level of smoke flavor I'm getting now, but that sounds like some next level chit worth trying. :thumb:

And I'm telling ya - next time you grind up some sausage, throw a little pork stock in there. Drippings from chuckies or briskets work great as well - nice deep flavor there.

Yeah when you said that about the sausage I decided I was definitely going to give that a go. I've got two butts in the deep freezer right now that's going to become some chorizo, Italian Sausage, and meatballs. (Mixed 50/50 with some ground beef.) Good idea to do it, especially to get the seasonings spread more evenly, and just to enhance the flavor. Not sure if you're a rice guy or not, but I just take some pork stock (if I'm having pork fried rice or carnitas or pork tacos or whatever) and some lard rendered from pork sitting in my fridge, and add that to the rice cooker. Ohhh man that is so good. I used to hate rice growing up, turned out my family just made bland nasty rice. I typically omit the pork fat for the sweet and sour pork though.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Hmmmm....."Jazzypron" huh? Impressive!

MORE! WE WANT MORE PRON FROM JAZZY GERBIL LAND!

Well, damn. ANOTHER cook thread. I just don't know you anymore. :tsk:

But I'd like to. :becky:
Yeah I went for a hat trick on the food posts. The addiction continues to grow...

Hmmmm....."Jazzypron" huh? Impressive!

MORE! WE WANT MORE PRON FROM JAZZY GERBIL LAND!

More will be had I'm sure. Going to take pictures of my son's birthday lasagna request, and I have to make up some gyros for my Pixie wife, so that'll be photographed as well.

Back