Tamales again

SmokinCoyote

Knows what a fatty is.
I finally got the pictures off the camera and on the computer of the tamales I made 2 weeks ago. With my internet provider we get web space so I made a practice page with the tamales. I am hoping to eventually make a BBQ page like this with steps of cooking ribs, briskets, butts, abt's etc.

Here is the address. If posting links to web pages isn't allowed let me know and I will put the pictures on photobucket if you want to see 'em.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/smokincoyote/tamales.html

Very nice web page! You lost me for a minute when you started boiling the pork, but when I saw you were using the broth in the sauce and masa I understood what you were doing. I was worried briefly that all of that porky goodness was going to do down the drain!

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to be making some tamales soon.

That is a great how-to. Good timing for the post too, tamales being popular around Christmas and all.

Have you ever tried pressure cooking the pork? It's a lot less time and the broth comes out richer since the system is closed.

Check your PM box.

That is a great how-to. Good timing for the post too, tamales being popular around Christmas and all.

Have you ever tried pressure cooking the pork? It's a lot less time and the broth comes out richer since the system is closed.

Check your PM box.

Never tried. I don't have a pressure cooker but the wife wants one so maybe that will be in the near future.

That web page ROCKS! Great job.

One of my fondest memories was the annual tamale feed at a girls house I went to school with for years. For as long as I can remember we would meet at Sandy's house after her mom made tamales, a Hispanic Christmas tradition, every year. 10 or 15 of us would devour a table full of tamales.

One of the things I miss about not living in So. Cal is lacking a good tamale connection at Christmas.

Nice web page brother. I'll take mine hot, packed in dry ice and shipped overnight.

Wow!! Very informative.
I beleive even this pasty faced white boy could whip up a batch.
Look forward to seeing more.
ModelMaker

Very professional web page!

Awesome looking food as well. Thanks for the great picture tutorial.

the masa spreader looks like one of those painting edge trimmers with the pad off. Very good page and lots of great how to stuff there. Thanks for posting it. Scott

PS, the pad comes off
022384001015.jpg

That's the best tutorial on tamales that I've seen. Thanks! :cool:

I wish I had the counter space to do a few batches. :sad:

I'm guessing that tube of prepared masa is standard fare in your local markets? What brand is it?

I can buy the prepared (with or without lard and salt added) at a tortilla plant down in Denver. It comes in 5# blocks.

That's the best tutorial on tamales that I've seen. Thanks! :cool:

I wish I had the counter space to do a few batches. :sad:

No kidding. And that pyramid photograph is very impressive. I immediately got permission to add a link to his how-to on my tamale page. :mrgreen:

I'm guessing that tube of prepared masa is standard fare in your local markets? What brand is it?

I can buy the prepared (with or without lard and salt added) at a tortilla plant down in Denver. It comes in 5# blocks.

The package says Ramirez and Sons. I don't have one on hand to see where there from though. I'm pretty sure they are local here because I was at Wal-Mart one day looking for it and there was none on the shelf so I asked a clerk if there was any more in the back. She told me they don't order it, that they let a lady put it on the shelf and when they are out their out until she brings more. Another local store (United) said the same thing. I have tried the powdered masa mix but haven't had much luck with it. There are a few little family owned hispanic stores that sells it ready to use by the pound but I have never tried that yet. That would be a time saver.

Back