Egg table suggestions?

vr6Cop

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK Brethren, I've got some questions for any of you eggers who may have built your own tables, or modified the tables you bought with your Big Green Egg.

I looked at the plans provided on the BGE site, and perused through the gallery and "build it" section on the Naked Whiz's site, but they still don't answer my questions. Searching the "official" BGE forum is like a needle in a hay stack, and I'm not in the right clique for asking a question over there. The layout of that type board bugs me - it's so 1980's. :roll:

On to the questions:

What type wood(s) did you use? If you bought the table directly from BGE it is cypress. I've already priced several different woods, and I can tell you that redwood is out due to budgetary concerns. I plan to do the skeleton with pressure treated lumber. I have priced cedar, poplar, red oak, and white pine for the horizontal surfaces and exterior siding.

What kind of finish did you use (new build or BGE-built)? I've looked at solid & semi-solid stains, and Australian timber oil. If you've had your table for a while, how often have you re-finished?

My plan is to enclose the table and use it for storage of eggstras, charcoal and smoking woods. I built my own fence and I'm fairly handy and a quick learner. I have the right tools, so it should be a snap.

My concerns are primarily wood choice and finish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wish I could help... all I can say is I am jealous you have the tools and the skills. I would love to have a compact table for The Green Monster!!

why not go with a synthetic decking material for the top. Should last forever and be easy to clean and use. wooden frame, fake decking. Scott

My first table I used some Eco-friendly decking following the BGE plans, but centered it and raised the bottom shelf because my Imperial Kamado is shorter than the Egg and new IK's. At the time the plans did not take in account the extra 2" needed for the spring assist hinge, so I had to put another paver under the K. It's currently a potting bench!!

Then I found a Cypress BGE table on craigslist, but it looked like Father/Son bonding project gone wrong! Bent nails on top decking, etc. I stripped it down and replaced the top with Ipe (Ironwood) 1x6 decking, beefed it up to hold two cookers, then added fold down side tables with brackets from Woodcraft.

100_1856.jpg

100_1857.jpg

I'm on the lookout for a 6' Stainless steel prep table to mount them in.

If you priced Redwood then Ipe is probably right up there too! I found some shorts and cut-offs from deck builder that just wanted it hauled off, but when I had to buy a plank I just about chit! Cedar is about the only other option around here. I think my first table cost around $150 in materials. They aren't cheap any way you go, buy it or make it. I like the tables made from the Metro carts, they are chrome and stainless steel.

Anything kept outdoors that I've used Oak on has turned black from mildew.

Don't use Trex or any composite decking, if you get a stray flying chunk of burning lump it'll melt it!

I've used Teak Oil in the past with good results.

Bob Vila sez- "measure twice-cut once!"

I haven't built one yet for my BGE...but when I do it will be Cypress with no finish. :p

i just sunk my weber kettle in a picnic table i put durarock on the top and covered it with tile

I wish I could help... all I can say is I am jealous you have the tools and the skills. I would love to have a compact table for The Green Monster!!
I should've been more clear. I have the borrowed tools. :biggrin:

After pricing out the wood, here is how it shakes out. All use pressure treated 2x4x8 as a skeleton, and all prices are plus tax. This does not include the price of any stain or hardware. Just lumber.

Pine: $96.84
Red Oak: $319.77
Poplar: $238.30
Cedar: $224.89

I don't have access to teak or cypress here, and redwood is way above my price range. I'd almost be better off buying one of the BGE pre-builts and staining it and modding it for my needs. However, I would also like to have somewhere for my old kamado like swamprb.

Of the woods listed I'd go with cedar. Its naturaly weather resistant, where the others arent. Preassure treated is often treated with some rather toxic chemicals. I'd steer clear.

Red oak, unlike white ok, is not so weather resistant. I've got a garage full of quartersawn white ok..but its a little expensive to use for something like this.

The cedar you wouldn't need to stain or treat...it'll just turn silver like a fence.

Just buy a prebuilt counter top, rout out the hole and there is your top. You did say it is going to be covered and such so should be no problem. I used cedar for the Horizontal surfaces and presure treated for the bracing and frame on mine (found the counter top idea after I was done)

Back