Standing Rib Roast Temp.?

I like to pull mine at 125-127 and let it rest 30 minutes or so. I'm cooking a rib roast today but its not bone-in.

I would pull it at 125 and let it stand. If you want it cooked a bit more you can also put slices in a bit of hot au jus for a second. That is what restaurants do with medium or well done prime rib orders.

125 for me. I can always toss it back on if I want it done a little more, but you can't undo it.

It all depends on where that thermometer sits in your meat. Generally between 125-130* and let stand for 30 minutes, tented. If you reverse sear, you can pull a bit sooner.

There's a rib-roast-appreciation thread here with some information, including times compiled by thirdeye:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150482

Feel free to add your delicious products. :hungry:

Depends on where and how you temp it. If you slide the probe into the center of the roast, parallel to the bone but, centered in the cut side, then cook to 135. If you slide in from the top, and you have the tip of the probe pointed at the bone, and are within one inch of the bone, then 125F, it will be more rare near the bone. But, you will be more medium in the center of the roast.

I find that if you cook a large roast at 350degrees, it will carry creep up between 10-20 degrees. That said, I typically pull a bottom round for deli meat at 105 to get a nice rare/med rare.

For a prime rib, I pull at 105 as well. I let these roasts rest at least 30 minutes - no foil tent.

I have small one in right now, (about 6 lbs) running pit temp 475-500...I will remove at internal of 120....rest 1 hour...

that pic is why if you like medium rare or even rare for rib roast, you need to pull at 110 and let rest for 30+ minutes. When cooking hot and fast, the temp creeps up at least 10 degrees and could easily creep 20.

Back