• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

side by side baby backs and spares

ironmanerik

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've done baby backs on my old brinkman bullet smoker but didn't have room for more than three racks. Things have changed, now I have room so i'm doing three racks of bb's and three spares. I was going to do a 2 1/2-1 1/2-1 my question is will they both cook in the same time frame?

The spares will take longer than baby backs. Your probably looking more at a 3-2-1 for full spares depending on temp.

I don't foil and when I do them together I put the BB's in the cooler part of the smoker so both spares and BB's get done at about the same time.

Have you done a comparison taste test? Which do you prefer?
That's what this is they are in the fridge with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. I am putting my go to store bought sauce Pats Ho-made on one of each, my homemade sauce on one of each, and brown sugar, brown mustard before the cook on the other two.

For me, I might throw the spares on about an hour before the BB's (I don't foil). The BB's usually cook a bit more quickly in my experience.

Also, I never trim them so YMMV.

spares take about 4 hours for me, 3 hours for "loin backs". That's cooking at 300ish, no foiling, mopping, etc. Just straight up cook 'em till they are done.

Back