Alabama White Sauce, Not What I Expexted.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've got some chicken halves smoking over hickory and whipped up a batch of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce from Chris Lilly's book. Really not what I imagined. Very vinegary. More like bottled ranch dressing without the garlic. I'm afraid I'll have to serve the chicken naked and let the Family decide if they want any. I should mention that this is a preference and not meant as a slam on Chris's book. I feel everyone should have a copy.

There are several versions of this sauce on the net, I have only tried it once but found it very good. I also did not cook it on the chicken but served it on the side as a dip / dressing.

I have a bottle of the stuff in my fridge and that's also not how I'd describe it. The dominant flavor is horseradish. I don't do vinegar. It's a bit vinegary, but I thought it was pretty good. I would not at all describe it as ranch-dressing-like. I'm thinking that's not a very good replica sauce recipe.

i haven't tried chris' recipe, but big johns.

i was very skeptical, bit i loved it. dunk the bird a couple times in the sauce towards the end of the cook. then serve more on the side. you won't regret it if it is at all similar.

When we went to Big Bob Gibsons a couple months ago of course we tried it, interesting but just not for me.

I tried the Chris Lilly recipe and wasn't a big fan. Wouldn't mind trying a different one, but it isn't big on my list.

I prefer Meathead's version of the Alabama White sauce. I've made it hundreds of times as it is my wife's favorite BBQ sauce for chicken. What I've learned is the sauce is much better if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight after making it. Also, the key ingredients that may need to be increased based on your tastes are lemon juice and coarsely ground black pepper. Here it is:

Ingredients
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon powdered garlic
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)
1 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

Well, I dunked the leg quarters in the sauce for the last 10 minutes or so. Not bad but most of the sauce drips off. I suppose if I cut the vinegar in half and doubled the apple juice it would more to my taste.

I prefer Meathead's version of the Alabama White sauce. I've made it hundreds of times as it is my wife's favorite BBQ sauce for chicken. What I've learned is the sauce is much better if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight after making it. Also, the key ingredients that may need to be increased based on your tastes are lemon juice and coarsely ground black pepper. Here it is:

Ingredients
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon powdered garlic
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)
1 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper
That's quite a bit different than BBG's.

The chicken was good though! No rub, just salt and pepper. Tasted like bacon. We loved hickory smoked chicken around here Usually w/o sauce.

I'm pretty sure Chris Lilly didn't put every ingredient in BBG cookbook. Lilly actually said Meathead's recipe is extremely close to the original. If you haven't seen it Meathead has an incredible BBQ website with fantastic everything BBQ. amazingribs.com

I love the Chris Lilly recipe in his book. Everyone that eats it is skeptical but ends up loving it and I get requests for it. We love it as a family, but I will have to try Meathead's!

I'm pretty sure Chris Lilly didn't put every ingredient in BBG cookbook. Lilly actually said Meathead's recipe is extremely close to the original. If you haven't seen it Meathead has an incredible BBQ website with fantastic everything BBQ. amazingribs.com
Yeah, love Meathead's site. I've tried his KC style sauce and loved it. His site got me back to smoking with my stick burner after years of pellet smoking.

I had the white sauce quite a number of years ago and couldn't get into it.
Maybe if I give it another try. My tastes may have changed.

Well, I dunked the leg quarters in the sauce for the last 10 minutes or so. Not bad but most of the sauce drips off. I suppose if I cut the vinegar in half and doubled the apple juice it would more to my taste.

more mayo. trust me.

Back