Finally leaving the backyard this weekend!

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are doing our first "sanctioned" competition this weekend @ Smokin' on Oak in Bonner Springs KS. We've been cooking on and off for about 3 years, so I'm comfortable with the actual cooking process. The big challenge will be putting it all together w/o the luxuries we are afforded in a driveway or backyard! I'm sure there is plenty that we are going to learn on the fly, and that's one of the most exciting parts!

I do have on question... when it comes to tents, other than cinder blocks, home depot buckets full of concrete and small children, what works best for holding down a canopy tent in a paved parking lot? Is there something really obvious that I am missing? thanks! :thumb:

5 gallon buckets filled with water and tied to the pop-ups with string.
Spent about $10 on 8 buckets and a roll of twine. Hasn't failed me yet.

Best of luck on your first try.

Coolers full of beer hold my popup down. BeeR is food ! Keep the meat inspector out though. :laugh:

5 gallon buckets with water. Most comps will have water available so you can use the buckets for transporting your stuff to the comp, when empty fill with water onsite to hold the tent down, then when done water the trees and pack up. Works for me.

Back