• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brinkmann Smoker

MJE9

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the brinkmann charcoal smokers? Are they worth it?

Thanks!

That was my first smoker. I think they were around $40.00 then. I used one for years. I had trouble getting temps high enough. I started wrapping it with an old blanket or sleeping bag. Worked great then.

You talking about the Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker? The water smoker similar to the WSM?

If that IS the one you're talking about. I'd recommend it. Out of the box, it's not as good, but you can modify it and it'll work great.
I have one. Started on it and I still have it. For the money you'll spend on an 18" WSM, you can buy and modify 4 or 5 of the Brinkmanns.

Check out THIS THREAD for modifications.

This is a better option IMO, just a little more flexible. It's not expensive and with a little work it can make a good smoker. It can also work as a grill.

728649739555lg.jpg

My suggestion is to search Craigslist for used. The Philly area is fertile ground for good used Weber stuff. It's not uncommon to find a used 18.5 WSM in the $100-$150 range.

Modding the brinkmann with the bottom is worth the trouble. The smoke n grill with the open bottom isn't worth any money or trouble.

man i think the wsm is worth it, unbox it and use it, the only mod is to use a dry water pan or water in the pan lol. im a water guy it makes the meat look real purdy that way. without water its alot darker.

This is a better option IMO, just a little more flexible. It's not expensive and with a little work it can make a good smoker. It can also work as a grill.

728649739555lg.jpg

I have this model, and from what I've heard of this vs. the Brinkman Gourmet, I think you're right. However, it's been discontinued, (the replacement model is only 20.25 inches high) and you can only get it if you're able to find it at a Lowes store on clearance.

I started off on the Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker for a year. I then upgraded to the WSM 18" and never looked back. I'm a firm believer in smoke with what you got. If the Brinkmann is more in line with your budget, then go with it. You will put out some great Q. If you can swing it, I say go with the WSM. The extra size is very nice as well.

I started with a brinkman and a weber lettle. Made some very nice q in that brinkman

It was my first smoker. I've moved on from it, but it is still nostaligic for me..I can't part with it!

I think it really only depends on your budget and what you're willing to spend.

A 18" WSM will cost you $300.
A Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker will cost you $80 (and you can find them for less).

For about $25, you can modify the Brinkmann and it will perform EXACTLY as the WSM.

So, it's $100 vs $300.

I'm not knocking the WSM at all, but even the VWB website suggests mods to it to better it's performance.

The ECB can be a fine weapon to BBQ with. Period. I've even done a side by side cook with mine and a WSM and they both performed IDENTICALLY.

Buy and cook with whichever you want. Good luck either way.
All I'm saying is that you can have 2 modified ECB's and STILL not spend as much as you would on 1 WSM. Fact.

The electric Gourmet was my very first smoker I got a few years back. I eventually converted it for charcoal use which required very simple mods to the to the base pans and to the lid. I still use it today and performs flawlessly. I run it with the stock waterpan, dry.

The modded base/coal pans.

P1070103_zpsa9de1e82.jpg

You talking about the Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker? The water smoker similar to the WSM?

If that IS the one you're talking about. I'd recommend it. Out of the box, it's not as good, but you can modify it and it'll work great.
I have one. Started on it and I still have it. For the money you'll spend on an 18" WSM, you can buy and modify 4 or 5 of the Brinkmanns.

Check out THIS THREAD for modifications.

Yes... What mods did you do?

I think it really only depends on your budget and what you're willing to spend.

A 18" WSM will cost you $300.
A Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker will cost you $80 (and you can find them for less).

For about $25, you can modify the Brinkmann and it will perform EXACTLY as the WSM.

What mods did you do?

Back