• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ideas for a first time smoker

D

Doughart1205

I am new to smoking as well as this site and am looking for ideas on what is good to make for a first timer on a uds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Most folks here will tell you to go with a naked fattie. Good call. :thumb:

Chicken is cheap.It you mess it up,not a big loss.

Can't go wrong with pork butt. It is one of the most economical hunks of meat to practice with and pretty hard to totally mess up.

Keep it simple while you are learning, don't get to caught up with rubs, injections, etc... I would suggest running your cooker 250+, I personally like the 275-300 range. Cook it until it probes tender.

Do a naked fatty and a pork butt or shoulder the fatty will give you something to enjoy eating while waiting for the pork butt or shoulder enjoy

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

I'm assuming there is a family &/or friends so ask what they like best, but keep it simple at first. Chicken, Boston butt or pork spares are always good and pretty straight forward. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Can't go wrong with pork butt. It is one of the most economical hunks of meat to practice with and pretty hard to totally mess up.

Keep it simple while you are learning, don't get to caught up with rubs, injections, etc... I would suggest running your cooker 250+, I personally like the 275-300 range. Cook it until it probes tender.

Like he said KISS.

Start cheap - Drums, wings, thighs.
Get nasty - Fatties and ABTs
Strut your stuff - butts/shoulders and chuckies
Go long - brisket

Keep it simple until you get comfortable with your smoker. They are all different and you need to get a feel for yours before you get adventurous. Besides, it is better to build you confidence with easier things first. Naked fatty would be a good place to start..

Pork butt and fatties.

Never cook just one fatty. Trust me on this.

Pork butt/shoulders are very forgiving, but I generally just cook whatevers on sale.

I recently did a first UDS cook with pork spares and a fatty. This was an excellent 1st cook as the fatty was ready just under 2 hours and the spares were finished in about 5.5 hours. The slightly fatty spares are also forgiving as well.

The shorter smoke time reduces the concerns associated with a first cook. I have since ventured out in the last few weeks to fatties, brisket, babybacks, chicken and corned beef with very good results...other than the corned beef that was salvedged for dinner tonight.

Back