Hi Guys,

Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa.

I could only read untill page 265 before the urge to Q got hold of me. This concept of Q is very different to our way of preparing food, but boy, did I enjoy it!

Here are spome pics! Enjoy :biggrin:

image_zps91a9e33d-1_zpsf5031d19.jpg

image_zps11e2ab57-1_zps43c8a432.jpg

image_zps23ee8957.jpg

image_zps59d683a7.jpg

Flips good show Bru looks like you did good I hate to tell you but this addiction only gets worse. Keep reading and don't be afraid to ask a few ?? along the way. Give us a lesson on Biltong sometime. Your Drum look great.

Well I am off to a good start on building my first UDS. Found an unlined food grade barrel for $15, burned the remaining corn syrup residue out, got three 3/4" close pipe nipples and a 3/4" ball valve installed, got the position for the bolts for the main grate drilled and managed to get a free 22.5" Weber grill from a co-worker. I had to use a grinder and a wire brush to clean the Weber grates off but beyond that the only cost was to go pick it up. I also ground the lip of the barrel so the Weber lid will fit. Last night I got the ash pan and base of the fire box made and just need to wait for pay day to get some expanded metal from Lowe's.

Hi Guys,

Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa.

I could only read untill page 265 before the urge to Q got hold of me. This concept of Q is very different to our way of preparing food, but boy, did I enjoy it!

Sounds like a golden opportunity to start a little business or restaurant. :) Let few people try it out and decide what's in your future.

So I've read every page on this thread and my eyes are crossed, but I got my first UDS done today. Seasoning it now. I'm pretty happy about it. Gonna try it out tomorrow with a fatty and some ribs!! Wish me luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 673
Here is my UDS. The barrel is a bit wrinkled, and the lid is a little large, but it seals fine. Have some pork smoking in it right now :)

2012-12-22 15.13.46.jpg

2012-12-22 15.14.11.jpg

2012-12-22 15.40.50.jpg

The basket was made at my neighbors welding shop. The handles are a rake handle I cut into three pieces.

On my test fire, it held 230 for 6 hours. I went to bed then, so it probably kept it there a few hours longer. The temp management is much better than my cheap upright.

James

Here is my UDS. The barrel is a bit wrinkled, and the lid is a little large, but it seals fine. Have some pork smoking in it right now :)

The basket was made at my neighbors welding shop. The handles are a rake handle I cut into three pieces.

On my test fire, it held 230 for 6 hours. I went to bed then, so it probably kept it there a few hours longer. The temp management is much better than my cheap upright.

James

Work of art. Seeing that it appears to be running under a covering, all UDS users HEED THIS WARNING:

Do not leave your smoker unattended when it's uncovered!

It can be almost out of coals, looking like it's almost dead. But if you leave it uncovered, 10, 15 minutes can go by before it finally starts billowing into a flame thrower reaching over twice its height and lots of heat!

Don't burn your house down.

I started smoking on a homemade miniWSM this last summer. Borrowed a UDS and like what it can do, so I picked up a 55 gallon drum that held vegetable oil. Drilled (4) 3/4" holes around the bottom for intake, and burned it out with the HF weed burner this morning. I think I have most of the parts to put a UDS together. I have a weber kettle lid that I will use, along with the standard flat lid. Eventually it will hold two cooking grates. I aim to have this together enough and season Thursday night with olive oil and the standard Fatty so that I can smoke a prime rib in it Friday.

Gonna be late nights tonight and tomorrow night finishing this up ...

Last edited:
I started smoking on a homemade miniWSM this last summer. Borrowed a UDS and like what it can do, so I picked up a 55 gallon drum that held vegetable oil. Drilled (4) 3/4" holes around the bottom for intake, and burned it out with the HF weed burner this morning. I think I have most of the parts to put a UDS together. I have a weber kettle lid that I will use, along with the standard flat lid. Eventually it will hold two cooking grates. I aim to have this together enough and season Thursday night with olive oil and the standard Fatty so that I can smoke a prime rib in it Friday.

Gonna be late nights tonight and tomorrow night finishing this up ...

Good luck with your build and let us know how it goes. Pictures are good but not required. :-D

Here's pics of the barrel before I burned it out with the weed burner. Started cleaning it up tonight with a wire wheel until the battery ran out. Will finish cleaning in the morning.

IMG_00123.jpg

IMG_00124.jpg

IMG_00125.jpg

More pics in the days to come ...

This is the UDS I built for my brother-in-law for Christmas. He is a cop, and he loved it.

Attachments

• uds1.jpg
    uds1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 652
Back