food service film reheat in oven

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was reheating some brisket and pork butt in the oven this weekend. I was just going to foil it in the roaster pans we would use to keep it hot. I was told to cover it first with food service film (basically saran wrap) and then foil. The foil would leak moisture I was told and the film would seal better. I thought the wrap would melt, but it didn't. Seemed to work great. Have others used film in the oven for reheating?

I know Paul Kirk's recommends wrapping and reheating with sara wrap according one of his books.

It is just an extra step. I don't see that much moisture loss when using only foil.

I have been using saran wrap and foil for over 10 years, and have never had a problem. I first saw it used that way at a bbq place in St. Louis, and I liked their bbq. :grin:

I do it. Learned the concept from a former MIM grand champion, specifically for brisket.
Paraphrasing: wrap that stuff up real tight and that juice ain't got nowhere else to go except right back in the meat.

"Saran" brand plastic wrap states on their website that their product
should NOT be used in any oven. I would suspect that all other brands
of plastic wrap are likely the same.

Here is a quote from the "Saran brands" website, and a link.

Can Saran™ Plastic Wraps be used in the oven?

No, Saran™ Wraps are not for use in conventional ovens, browning units, toaster ovens, or on stovetops.

http://www.saranbrands.com/faq.asp

works great...just not on hi-heat...I wrap all my trays first with plastic wrap then foil on top as I have all my vending or catering foods ready to go before hand and re-heat

Back