Pickled Veggie Questions

John Bowen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Saturday night we went to a small party and I ate some of the best pickled vegetables I have ever put in my mouth. I found the lady who brought them and asked how she made them. She said it was super simple and quick – she kept using the term “refrigerator pickles”. The important part for me was – she pickled them WITHOUT any sugar. They were amazing and meet the diet needs of some in my household.

Her husband came over and got her and she told me she would get me the recipe before they left. Well they left and I can’t find her or a recipe that pickles vegetables without sugar.

Can any of you folks help me????????

I make ice box pickles a lot...in fact getting ready
to do a batch of cukes, onions and jalapenos
in a little while...
Maybe you could omit the addition of sugar from the recipe....
or use a sugar substitute like equal perhaps...

Ice_Box_Pickles.jpg

Ice Box Pickles
Makes 2 Quarts
1 Jar Pearl Onions, 12 oz.
8-12 Medium Sized Cucumbers. Peeled and Sliced into 1/4” thick rounds
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Salt
1 Tablespoon Celery Seed
1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
1 Tablespoon Turmeric
Optional Addition
12 Jalapenos Sliced into 1/4” rounds

Divide the veggies equally between two quart mason jars.
Pour the vinegar into a microwave safe mixing bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to bowl and stir to combine.
Place bowl into Microwave and heat using 1/2 power for 2 minutes.
Stir the bowl again and let cool for 10 minutes.
Divide the vinegar mixture equally between the mason jars.
Seal and place into Fridge for one week….

I never add sugar when i pickle my green beans or carrots or cauliflower, just a simple 1:3 cider vinegar to water ratio with pickling salt added to taste for the brine. I add minced garlic, dill seed, and red pepper flake to the jars, then add the boiling brine, top with a sterilized lid and process in my water bath canner for 10 minutes and let sit for 2 weeks then enjoy.

Thanks Marwendholt - that sounds close to what she described but I did not get the impression she boiled / canned her veggies. I think she mixed vineger /water and tossed them in the fridge for a few days.

@ N8Man - those look good! Yeah the girls when in training do not eat sugar or any other type of sweetner. They also stay away from most carbs - potatos, bread etc.

Go figure.

tap.gif
There is no egg mentioned in the recipe but I see an egg in the jar, and when ya'll stop packing corn in them jars. I've had allot of NC canning jar corn I think it was either Happy Sally or White dog Brand.

tap.gif
There is no egg mentioned in the recipe but I see an egg in the jar

ooopppss!!! I did the eggs with this recipe without the cukes...
hardboiled, shelled and into the mason jar...
then allow to mellow in the Fridge for one month before eating..

Is it possible she just used leftover pickle juice and tossed all the veggies etc in there for a few days? I do that when the pickle jar is empty and reuse the juice.

Bob

IDK BB - it had a very heavy vineger taste and the veggies were really crisp. It was almost too simple. Very clean.

I just made these...but you can omit the sugar..

micro_pickles_zps461dc943.jpg

Peppery Ice Box Pickles
1 large cucumber peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium sweet onion sliced into 1/2" wedges
3 jalapenos sliced 1/4" thick
1 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup hot sauce, I use Texas Pete
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
In a microwave safe 2 quart bowl mix vinegar, hot sauce and spices.
Toss in veggies and stir to coat well.
Microwave on high for 2.5 minutes.
Stir well and microwave another 2.5 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon transfer the veggies into a clean 1 quart mason jar.
Pour liquid into jar until veggies are covered.
Cap and let cool thirty minutes then place into refrigerator.
Ready to eat in one week.

IDK BB - it had a very heavy vineger taste and the veggies were really crisp. It was almost too simple. Very clean.

This is the way my grandmother taught me... this was, and still is a summer time favorite.

peel and slice cucumber or 3, add a small thin sliced onion cover with a saltwater brine for 12 to 24 hours. drain, fresh water rinse. Cover with cider vinegar and chill overnight.

Thanks Pyro - when you say salt water brine ... do you have a ratio of water to sea salt?

Thanks Pyro - when you say salt water brine ... do you have a ratio of water to sea salt?

I have always gone by taste, add salt until water taste salty.

Usually what happens is I will layer in the cucumber slices and the salt each layer will get a good coat of salt an then water added and salt added if needed.

I never add sugar when i pickle my green beans or carrots or cauliflower, just a simple 1:3 cider vinegar to water ratio with pickling salt added to taste for the brine. I add minced garlic, dill seed, and red pepper flake to the jars, then add the boiling brine, top with a sterilized lid and process in my water bath canner for 10 minutes and let sit for 2 weeks then enjoy.

I do this same process but skip the water bath. Make that 1:3 brine and I usually add a 2TBLS salt per quart of brine so 8 TBLs for a gallon. Sterlize your lid and jars add about 1/8-1/4 tsp pickling spice to the bottom of your jar. Stuff in your veggies as tight as possible and then pour the hot brine over the top until you get to the bottom of the head of the jar. Seal tightly and allow to cool on the counter top. Then into the fridge for at least 2-weeks. With a good seal these will keep in the fridge for about a year, though they won't last long.

For cucumbers I prefer to use white vinegar and add a couple cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of dill. Sometimes I'll add a couple of hot hungarian wax peppers to a jar for a little heat or you can just add some red chili flakes.

For other vegetables I prefer to use cider vinegar. I also like to mix my vegetables up, I'll use a combination of green beans, peppers (hot & sweet), celery, carrots, onion and cauliflower. My all time favorite are green tomatoes! I gather up all the unripe tomatoes in the fall and put up 6-7 quarts, they are absolutely fantastic.

These are great sugestions to get started and I will start working on this real soon but to be honest this lady did not seem like the type to go through all these extra steps if you know what I mean. Part on me thinks she just chunked the veggies in some white wine vinegar and let it set in the fridge for a couple of days.

I do this same process but skip the water bath. Make that 1:3 brine and I usually add a 2TBLS salt per quart of brine so 8 TBLs for a gallon. Sterlize your lid and jars add about 1/8-1/4 tsp pickling spice to the bottom of your jar. Stuff in your veggies as tight as possible and then pour the hot brine over the top until you get to the bottom of the head of the jar. Seal tightly and allow to cool on the counter top. Then into the fridge for at least 2-weeks. With a good seal these will keep in the fridge for about a year, though they won't last long.

For cucumbers I prefer to use white vinegar and add a couple cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of dill. Sometimes I'll add a couple of hot hungarian wax peppers to a jar for a little heat or you can just add some red chili flakes.

For other vegetables I prefer to use cider vinegar. I also like to mix my vegetables up, I'll use a combination of green beans, peppers (hot & sweet), celery, carrots, onion and cauliflower. My all time favorite are green tomatoes! I gather up all the unripe tomatoes in the fall and put up 6-7 quarts, they are absolutely fantastic.

I do the water bath to make sure I have a good seal since I don't refridgerate my jars until they are opened.

Back