Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Kansas Winter Q/Chest to Chest

Many Facebook folks saying sub zero weather forcast and snow predictions for the week

Per Accuweather, Friday is showing a low of 10, with a high of 26 on Saturday. I don't see that being a big issue for someone who signed up to compete in KS on 2/7. It was 2 this morning when I foiled my Super Bowl pork.

Per Accuweather, Friday is showing a low of 10, with a high of 26 on Saturday. I don't see that being a big issue for someone who signed up to compete in KS on 2/7. It was 2 this morning when I foiled my Super Bowl pork.

Being in Wisconsin I routinely cook in this kind of weather but not sure I would want to do a whole contest in it. There is a lot of difference in going out to check the cooker and going back in the house vs staying in an EZ UP for 2 days in this stuff. I dont know the facilities there but maybe theres issue with the judging areas also ?

I have not got the "official" word from Kent yet, but I am pretty sure the snow forcasts for pretty much all week is what is going to cause the cancellation. As soon as I get confirmation from Kent I will post.

After reviewing weather forecasts for next week that show snow and wind and severe conditions, and teams contacting us to cancel, the decision has been made by the Barton County Fair Board, Kent Romine, and the BBQ Committee to call off the Kansas Winter Q and Chest to Chest Competition that was scheduled for February 7 & 8, 2014. We knew going in that weather could affect the contest but in the interest of safety for the cook teams, judges, and volunteers it is felt this cancellation is required. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope for your understanding. Thank you.

David Keyse
BBQ Committee​

I'm sure that was not an easy decision, David!

am told that this contest has be canceled due to weather forecast

It was definately a tough decision. Some teams had already called to cancel and Kent worried all weekend before making the choice to cancel. I guess the next 5 days we will see if it was the right decision. No secondary date was set for this year. Kent is hoping to schedule the event next year back to the last weekend in February. Again sorry for the inconvenience but Kent was concerned for everyone's safety. If the forecast would have just been for snow early in the week instead of all week the decision may have been different.

David

The NWS report was more negative than accuweather and I understand the need to avoid taking a big loss if teams don't show up, especially with no prepayments.

I'm disappointed, but I do appreciate what the organizers are faced with and I probably came across more critical than I intended yesterday. On the plus side, it gives me another year to qualify for the Chest to Chest.

Back