• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Local Blues Hog find. (score for me!)

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Was out shopping at Shop n' Save today (which I hardly ever shop at) and found pints of Blues Hog Original and Honey Mustard. Also found the BH seasoning. First time I've ever found them at a local grocery store. And the price wasn't too bad either (compared to ordering online from somewhere) priced at 3.98 for the pints. I thought I saw them online for around 4.69 plus shipping so for me this is a score!

I asked the manager on how much and how often they stock BH and he told me that they only order a case when they are down to 1 or 2 jars and the shipment shows up about a week after ordering. He also said that they order from a "second man" bottler in Chicago(?) and his Shop 'n Save only stocks a small amount because it "doesn't sell like the big name brands".

I made a request for him to start stocking Tenn. Red and maybe look into stocking quart sizes. He came back saying that he would look into the Tenn. Red but that stocking quart sizes wouldn't be worth the cost since they sell so little of the pint sizes already.

So any other STL brethren know if their local Shop n' Save stock BH or am I just the lucky one?? :biggrin1: Btw, this was at the Fenton location...

IMG_20130326_194432_297_zps745a9312.jpg

Already know I love the original sauce, but had to get the HM jar to try it. I LOVE honey mustard, but have heard mixed reviews about the BHHM. So I'll try it and decide for myself..

We have a local store in Wautoma that stocks it but if you spend over 40 bucks with bigpoppasmokers its free shipping. not hard to spend over 40 bucks on bbq supplies.................

Dude schnucks should have original, tenn red and more than likely honey mustard in stock as well.

I love the Original. My kids.............well, they devoured that stuff. They'd dip carrot sticks in it and eat it! It does wonders for a big pot of bbq beans too! Enjoy!

Dude schnucks should have original, tenn red and more than likely honey mustard in stock as well.

Good to know! Thanks!

There are no Schnucks "near" me but a 5 or 10 minute trip in any direction will run me right into one so it would be worth the trip.

we had a couple of places here in the Chicagoland area that did carry all 3 sauces, now all but one no longer carry it, and the 1 has only the Tennessee Red. Back to ordering online:evil:

we had a couple of places here in the Chicagoland area that did carry all 3 sauces, now all but one no longer carry it, and the 1 has only the Tennessee Red. Back to ordering online:evil:

You beat me to it. I was going to post the same thing; that we've had several stores stock itfor a short while. Enjoy it while you can, becuase it might be gone when you need to restock. :sad:

You beat me to it. I was going to post the same thing; that we've had several stores stock itfor a short while. Enjoy it while you can, becuase it might be gone when you need to restock. :sad:

I just picked up some at Ultra Foods in Lombard. Just the Tennessee Red. There were about twenty jars left on the shelf.

Go west young (?) Q'ers! Hy Vee (in KC) carries all the BH varieties.

I never see the tennessee red at hy-vee up here. Only Original, honey mustard, and smokey mountain - speaking of which, any reviews of the smokey mountain sauce like?

I've seen this at a local store here called Farm Fresh. They have original and Tennessee red. I have seen it pop up on this forum lately. think I'll try some.

I have been a E. Carolina traditionalist when sauce was concerned. therefore always made my own. Been experimenting lately and I am totally hooked on S.C. Mustard based sauce now. Is the Blues Hog honey mustard that same style?

I never see the tennessee red at hy-vee up here. Only Original, honey mustard, and smokey mountain - speaking of which, any reviews of the smokey mountain sauce like?

Hy Vee on Hwy 45 (Near Parkville) and the one on Englewood & North Oak stock all BH varieties. The one on 45 also stocks Galaxie (winner of the sauce contest at last year's Royal)... It's made in Smithville and my new favorite.

A lot of specialty grocery stores have started carrying the pints, but we can't put enough of it in our store at once. I will buy 6 - 8 cases of each (except mustard) and fly through it in no time.

Back