Best Climate to Proof Dough In.

Don't know if this is any help I service the proofing boxes for a bagel company. They run steam into it the temp is like 90 - 100 very high humidity so the dough does not dry out.

Don't know if this is any help I service the proofing boxes for a bagel company. They run steam into it the temp is like 90 - 100 very high humidity so the dough does not dry out.

Thats warm. I'm thinking that they have a high volume and need a generaly fast rise on their product. The steam would keep things moist like you indicated.

Thats interesting . Introducing an extremely high humidity level.

I have proofed one day bread in my microwave which no longer works. I put a large bowl of boiling water in it, wait 1 hour, remove bowl and put dough in. This gives me a fast rise. I have had good results using this method, however, I prefer using a slow proof in the refrigerator as it gets the airy, moist, sponge-like texture I prefer in rustic and sourdough loaves. For pizza and bread, I use a cold ferment for 1 day, then a cold proof for one day to get the best results.

And I use an exploding poolish.

the only reason to proof dough in the fridge is to retard the speed at which the yeast does its thing - many people prefer to cold ferment their dough for a couple days (the time in the fridge would be dependent on the yeast or starter used) - I actually prefer same day dough that is balled and proofed at room temp for however long it takes to almost double in size (I go to about 75% increase). I have sped things up with a warm oven, or the microwave trick, but did not get as good (consistent) results that way. Thanks for the link!

i do the first proof overnight on the counter and as well as the second after forming the loaf. all in all about 20 hours of primary and secondary fermentation. however, i use a small amount of wild starter so if i used the fridge i would be waiting for days!!!

Back