Offset Smoker Build.

How tall is the stack going to be?

I’ve got about 1metre (40”) of 100mm(4”) pipe. It’s in two pieces so I’ll need to weld it together. Feldon’s calculator tells me I need 25”. I was going to have it longer than that and trim it down if needed.

Last edited:
A few pics from todays efforts. Don't judge the welding too much. There are some good ones and others that will meet the grinder soon.

Probably the most nerve racking part done. I've installed the smokestack and welded up the exhaust part. The cook chamber lid was also cut. The plasma cutter got though most of it but I needed to come back and cut though a few parts with the angle grinder. I've made a few more hinges and installed some strapping around the top edge. Everything seems to be coming together fine. I suppose I won't know how it goes until I get a fire lit.

I'll finish up the lid strapping tomorrow and work on a handle for it. A counter weight might be useful - or at least something to stop the lid falling back too far. I'll hopefully have a fire going in the next few days.

Grills are next - and a heat deflector baffle plate of some sort.

Attachments

• 58113616283--6DB17EE5-7C18-44E9-B755-39F78FE162E9.jpg
    58113616283--6DB17EE5-7C18-44E9-B755-39F78FE162E9.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG-9886.jpg
    IMG-9886.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG-9889.jpg
    IMG-9889.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG-9896.jpg
    IMG-9896.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG-9895.jpg
    IMG-9895.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG-9894.jpg
    IMG-9894.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG-9897.jpg
    IMG-9897.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG-9898.jpg
    IMG-9898.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG-9900.jpg
    IMG-9900.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 460
Your build is looking amazing and I'm severely jealous of your skills. I'm excited to see the final product and how well it cooks. Good job so far and thanks for the great progress pics.

Your build is looking amazing and I'm severely jealous of your skills. I'm excited to see the final product and how well it cooks. Good job so far and thanks for the great progress pics.

Thanks SmoothBoar. I appreciate it.

Almost at the finish line.

The strapping is done - some slight warping at the corners though :sad:
I'm not sure if this was some stress release or heat warping. I tacked the strapping on and welded in short sections so I'm not sure. I'll try a few things to persuade it back.

I did read on a thread somewhere that once the smoker is going, the air flow should mean it won't make much difference. Time will tell.

The counter weight is almost done. I need to stuff some more metal in before welding some caps on the ends. I read up on them but mostly had no idea what I was doing. It definitely helps the door open and keep the door open without fear of it knocking me out.

The handle feels good. It rotates so it's nice to open. Most of my work is usually with timber so it was good to include at least one bit. I'll get a few coats of finish on it to protect it from grease.

Grills and grinding next.

Attachments

• IMG-9930.jpg
    IMG-9930.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG-9929.jpg
    IMG-9929.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
You seem to know what you're doing. I wouldn't be asking us idiots for advice!:p

Why not? Chances are one of us has already done it wrong....so he'll be able to do it right.

Awesome work, cant wait to see it continue.

Great job!! :eusa_clap:clap2::clap:

Can't wait to see this fired up and blowing smoke

build is looking great, I'm getting a free traeger barrel and was thinking of doing something like this.
can't wait to see it all done!

These little fiddly bits are much easier than grinding. I'm avoiding that as much as possible. It's starting to look complete.

I've made some grills, modified the door mechanism and extended the chimney. Hoping to do a burnout in the next couple of days. I put the grills halfway between the smokestack exhaust. It almost seems a bit high compared to the firebox opening. It's permanent if It works, a bit of grinding and it can be modified.

Question for anyone that could answer:

Feldon's calculator and another I used tells me I need 25" of pipe. I welded on a piece to make it up to 32". I'll cut it down if needed.

Does the exhaust (Franklin style) make a difference to this calculation and how can I tell if it needs cutting?

Smokestack dampener, grease valve, tuning plates (potentially) a piece of mesh for firewood underneath it and fire grate is next.

Attachments

• IMG-9949.jpg
    IMG-9949.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG-9950.jpg
    IMG-9950.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG-9951.jpg
    IMG-9951.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG-9958.jpg
    IMG-9958.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG-9954.jpg
    IMG-9954.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG-9953.jpg
    IMG-9953.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG-9952.jpg
    IMG-9952.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG-9957.jpg
    IMG-9957.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG-9961.jpg
    IMG-9961.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG-9962.jpg
    IMG-9962.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 294
You should know once you fire it up if the draw is too strong.
I'm guessing you will want to shorten the exh by around 6 in. Looking at your pics.
When I built my center exh offset, the draw was so strong the flames were pulled into the smoke chamber. The strong draw also just burns wood to fast. I took a guess at shorting the height and it worked as it should.
Anyway, give it a try and see how it runs before making a decision.
:clap2::clap2:

Looking good! I started with like 4 feet of pipe and then cut it down to about where you have it. Draw has been just about right for me. I think you are doing the right thing though. Start out with more than needed and cut it down if you have too. Also, just from experience, you might need some kind of baffle (Fire blocker) between the fire box and the cook chamber. I expiremented with several different ways before welding in a vertical piece about 2 inches away from the hole that separates the two. But reading the above post maybe my draw is still too good and I need to cut down more? You can always add more pipe back if needed. After you fire it up a few times and expirement you will figure it out. Can’t wait to see this thing fired up!

There’s no such thing as too much draft if you can control the input air. A stack that works most of the time may be too short in some circumstances. One that is 6+ inches longer than you need is never a problem unless you have a height clearance issue for storage or transport.

Also, there is absolutely no applicable science behind Feldon’s calculator. The inputs it uses are wrong and the results it spits out are laughable from an engineering perspective. The results it spits out mostly work, but many many working smokers are no where near its ratios. Don’t over think what does not need any type of precision.

I know it's late but crank up the heat on your welder. You will notice MUCH better results. Stick or MIG?

I know it's late but crank up the heat on your welder. You will notice MUCH better results. Stick or MIG?

MIG welder. I'll give it a go. There's a small amount of welding left. I'm fairly basic with a welder. Getting better but still heaps to learn.

Thanks all for the info. I've started cutting out a dampener for the smoke stack and will get some testing done soon.

Another question:

Where's the best place for the thermometer? My chargriller has two on either side of the door - this other smoker (which is more similar to mine) I've been looking at has one high up near the smokestack and one near the firebox. The Yoder Witchita is the same.

Last edited:
Back