View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #224
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
Being that I've had no problems whatsoever, I find myself massively perplexed about what's going on. I've been following the hysteria on multiple forums and it's completely out of control. Here is where I'm at with this thing:

1. If you know anything at all about failure mode and exception analysis, you can deduce that if a sample of a population has a problem, and not the entire population, and the problem is not consistently reproducible, the problem is not design.

5. The hopper issue is mind-blowing to me. I have used an entire bag of Weber pellets and two bags of BBQer's Delight and not found the need to touch any part of my hopper. All of my pellets feed and I have had no jams or temperature control issues. Reading comments around the Internet, it's clear that people aren't managing their ash and aren't going through the shutdown process. Just throw some meat on, crank it up to 600F, leave the lid open and let 'er rip fellas!

Thanks.
I think you're overstating #1. The sample sizes are too small at this point to really draw any conclusion. It's quite possible that a pattern may develop on some of the issues where it does become repeatable. (I doubt that will be true of the grease fire -- there are just way to many variables)

It wouldn't surprise me though if the temperature variation that some users reported isn't going to be dependent on wind. Absent it or something light from the right direction, everything's fine. Wrong way and it doesn't run well. If true, I would consider that a design problem even though it might be easy to work around (point the cooker a different direction)

On #4, I would again say the sample size is pretty small at this point. It could be that the design is right at the boundary of being steep enough so any small error in manufacturing or assembly can push you over the ledge. Or probably a number of other reasons including people's patio not being completely level and that being enough to make the difference.

You could call either of those user errors if you want but I think that part of a good design is attempting to minimize the opportunities for a problem

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->