Rate my brisket appearance

To much sauce, could have effected apperance and taste scores.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but are you trimming your brisket after you cook?

No smoke ring and a flat edge on the right side.

The sauce is bugging me and in one angle of the picture, the slice up front makes the whole product appear uneven.

Anyhow, 7 or 8.

I'd have to give it a 7 and that's mainly due to the uneven/gloppy sauce. That's the first thing you notice when you look at it. The only other thing about seeing that Mista, is now I have a preconceived notion in my head of whether I'm going to taste the meat flavor of the brisket or just sauce and whether you were trying to cover up dryness with sauce. This may have had an impact on your taste scores as well. The other things that caught my attention were the piece sticking up on the left side of the last piece, the left side was darker than the rest and the right side could have been more even. Garnish complimented the overall appearance.

One thing that I have learned if you get a 4 and the rest 8's and 9's, it was one dumb judge. However, if there are two 5's and a 4, there was something wrong. The brisket looks really good to me though. I would give you a 7 on appearance, if the sauce was evenly brushed on it would be a sure 8, possibly a 9 if I was in a good mood.

7 here as well... sloppy globby sauce and eneven on the right side. I also like to see lots o' meat in the box. I accepted a lot of turn-in's at our contest this past weekend and while I can't open them of course, one thing that stood out to me was this: the guys who did the best and who regularly do the best had the heaviest boxes! I don't think that can be underestimated!

Nice box Mista. I'd rate it an 8.

Just a few minor things keep me from giving a 9 - sauced a bit unevenly, no bark on the right side of the meat, maybe the first slice a bit skewed (hard to tell from the angle of the photo).

Smoke ring looks terrific! (yeah I know it doesn't count :icon_frow )

Good solid 8 from moi. Just a tad too much sauce and it looked like the last slice (largest slice) could have used a little trimming to get rid of the "rough" edge

My wife and I are both KCBS Cert Judges and from the pic's we agree at least a 7, maybe an 8 if I were looking at it live.

Yep Neil, Lookin a little wet.

If you say it was tender, I am sure it was tender. But with 50 judges, you are bound to run into a couple oddballs. Maybe they ended up at the same table!

Looking at your scores, it was not the appearance that got ya. Taste and tenderness got tagged pretty good by the judges.
Appearance- I'd give it a strong 8.

Neil, I do not have a picture of our brisket, but wish I did. For good or bad, it looked nothing like yours.

We used no sauce, at all.
We over cooked, and had to get creative on presentation.
I have never felt so miserable at a contest, and at brisket time just wanted to get the stuff in the box.

Result: 11th, right ahead of QN4U.

:p
Looks okay... when will judges begin deducting points because the brisket they sample tastes like the underside has steeped in a bed of parsley? I set a chunk the other day on some parsley I had ready for some Parsley Butter and some Mashed Potatoes I was making. when I picked up the burnt end REEKED of parsley.

Who was the idiot that came up with Parsley as a garnish... someone from Texas? OK? Alabama? Tennessee, Mississippi? Louisiana? WHERE? bring me this person... NOW!!!! Who was this MOFO?:wink:

I give your box a 7

Seven slices is the kiss of death, know that from experience.......gotta get 8 or 9 in the box.......here's a pic of the 178.8572 brisket from Sedalia this year.....you and I have the same thought as to presentation....I just think your box needed to be fuller. Pic is for comparison.....keep you comments directed to Mista's box, please!

Attachments

• Sedalia 061408 008a.jpg
    Sedalia 061408 008a.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 581
:p
Looks okay... when will judges begin deducting points because the brisket they sample tastes like the underside has steeped in a bed of parsley? I set a chunk the other day on some parsley I had ready for some Parsley Butter and some Mashed Potatoes I was making. when I picked up the burnt end REEKED of parsley.

Who was the idiot that came up with Parsley as a garnish... someone from Texas? OK? Alabama? Tennessee, Mississippi? Louisiana? WHERE? bring me this person... NOW!!!! Who was this MOFO?:wink:

I'm starting to understand why the Governor has banned you.

I would give it a 5, it did not have enough sauce...man you werent kidding as I was leaving and you said it was dry!

Back