View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Really nice setup Marsha! Ity's nice to have some footsteps to follow in. Keep doing what you are doing and keep sharing!! Wait till I send MrsMista this link!
It is a lot of hard work, and some very long days, but it is also lots of fun. Especially when people tell you how good the food tastes... and then you get to make a nice deposit at the bank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMista View Post
Nice job. I like your set up a lot and crowds in line for your food is always a good thing.

I'm not going to be as bad as my husband thinks but I just want to know how to you determine how much of each meat for a particular crowd? I know you run out of some things. Is it a matter of limiting your menu or just have extra on hand?
Hi There!

It took us a while to catch on to correctly estimate how much meat and other product to order. This is our third summer season and we do estimate a lot better than we did the first year, but we still don't always get it right. So, you have to either have a freezer for leftovers, or someone like me who can run out at the end of a busy first day and stock up on more product. And then late on the last day of an event I start to get creative with the menu if we are running low on certain items. For example, at an art & wine festival a couple weeks ago we ran out of hoagie rolls, but had tortillas, so I changed to selling "Tri-tip wraps." After we ran out of tortillas I changed the menu to us selling half a rack of ribs and half a tri-tip as a take home "Family pack." Then we ran out of ribs and I changed it to where people could buy a whole tri-tip to take home for dinner. I normally use a printed menu sign that I post on our booth, but also take along a white board that can be changed when things start to run out. That's when you take down the printed menu. I used to panic when things would run out, now I have learned to just be flexible and get creative... it sure saves my sanity!

Let me go look up another thread where someone mentioned expecting to feed 1% - 2% of the average number of people who attend events such as festivals, etc.
Check this out: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49195