Camping out and Cooking in the Dells

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Over my Birthday, this last week, my family and I went camping in Wisconsin Dells. We were bound and determined to not only have fun but, eat every meal at our campsite. We figured that by not eating out, it would cut our costs easily in half.
We got to camp and set to work getting set up.
018-2.jpg

Our house for the next 2 nights.
016-1.jpg

There wasn't enough room in the van to bring a big smoker but, no worries, have MUDS, will travel.
mms_picture-2-12.jpg

The first night we were there, chicken was on the menu. Unfortunately for me, I grabbed the bad remote thermo which meant that the chicken was actually done about an hour before I thought it was. Little on the tough skin and dry breast side but, still darn tasty and was completely destroyed.
mms_picture-3-11.jpg

The smoker was the easy fire to deal with while camping. The actual camp fire itself was a different story. We didn't bring any wood with us and all the wood we could get while there was some of the worst I've ever had to deal with. It took at least 4 tries to get it going steady and that was only when I would put the logs in the classic teepee formation. On the upside, I did get my fire foot massage in on the first night.
0809112159.jpg

The next morning I figured I had the whole fire situation figured out so, I planned on cooking breakfast over the fire. Out came the cooking grate and some Cast Iron to fry up some bacon in.
mms_picture-4-9.jpg

Feeling brave, I cut up some taters and started them in another CI pan.
mms_picture-5-6.jpg

I realized that the smoke coming off of the fire was very dirty smelling and there was just too much of it. I ended up abandoning the cooking over the fire for finishing up on a gas camp stove. From that point on I decided that I wouldn't be cooking over the fire while camping for the rest of our time there. That night, when it came to dinner and getting the camp fire started again, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and use coals from the chimney to start both the MUDS and camp fire.
017-3.jpg

mms_picture-7-5.jpg

That night it was chuck steaks with Cow Pow on the menu.
mms_picture-8-3.jpg

Yet again, there were no survivors and everyone loved the steaks. And when it came to the fire that night I let myself relax and enjoy a drink or two.
0810112211.jpg

I do have to say that I think we were able to do a bunch more than we would have been able to afford by not eating out. Besides, any excuse to do more outdoor cooking can't be bad.

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

You know what man, the whole camping trip and cooking out with my son is going to be a dream come true. I have the tent, the camp stove, the smokey joe silver, and access to tons of seasoned live oak, all I need now is the time and some scratch to rent the campsite.

Looks like you and your family had a kick butt time and a well deserved one at that. Congrats on the money saving trip!

Looks like the perfect family outing Tom! That's my plan for my wife's and i's anniversary. Camping with a little romance. Love the family excursions and any way to save money is a winner in my book!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

What was the weather like? Can't imagine camping out here right now! Been in the 100s for weeks. Glad you had fun.

That looks like a simple fun vacation. We started tent camping about 5 years ago. Then came the travel trailer. Then came the fifth wheel. Now nothing. Got too big too quick. Lots of work. I wouldn't mind doing the tent thing again sometime. Great lookin grub!

What was the weather like? Can't imagine camping out here right now! Been in the 100s for weeks. Glad you had fun.
High 70's during the day, partly cloudy and It had to be low 60's to high 50's at night. Perfect camping weather. Love camping out when it get's colder at night.
looks like good food was had for sure---how were the water parks??
Honestly, my kids are small enough that the full blow water park experience isn't really required. We stayed at Jellystone and they were totally happy just playing on their water playground and pool area. We went to Timber Adventure Golf, Top Secret (Upside down house), The Original Ducks, Tommy Bartlett's Water Show, Airheads (bounce park behind Buffalo Phil's), and The House on the Rock.

Awesome stuff Tom! The only kind of Vacation to me is where you cook your own BBQ everyday!

Cheers!

Bill

Looks like a blast Tom! My wife has been asking me to take her, the dog, and a Egg camping. I gotta do this! If nothing else, I might have some kind of excuse for adding a WGA to the family...:becky:

Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun, Tom.

Bet you saved a ton of cash too.:thumb:

Looks like you had a great vacation. Food looks good too.

And just think, you could have driven about thirty minutes and stopped by one of Wisconsin's most popular tourist attractions: The Wyocena Yacht Club. :becky:

Cooking out to me is a very important part of camping. It's a part of the whole out door experience. The wife and I love to go camping.

Thanks for sharing Tom! It looks like great food and good times were had by all!:thumb:

Back