Lil help! Chicken appearance

riblette

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We're a little lost. Our chicken appearance scores for this turn in: 7,7,8,6,8,7 - no comment cards. (They were actually more uniform in size than the photo indicates...the angle destorts the size.)

What do you guys think??? We welcome any and all suggestions, or comments.

Chicken Morgan Hill 2011.jpg

Last edited:
Literal blind judging? I don't know they look better than that to me.

I am no expert but I don't go three across I go three down and they all look shaped a little different. I had what a competitors gf called fake looking ribs a few weekends ago. She said they looked so perfect they looked fake I got 7,7,7,7,8,8 on appearance I usually get 9s. So who knows

Tough one! I think that is a very good looking box but something about it isn't popping. Perhaps it is the picture but I would give it an 8. The parsley looks a little pale and wilted.

Well being an FBA guy now the box looks a little empty. You trim small enough that I think you could put 9 of those in the box. Give it a try.

More meat, glossier look (did you go back to cooker after saucing - if so, sauce again lightly or don't set the sauce), parsley is not really even, i see "bumps" on the meat which I assume is rub. Maybe grind it a bit?

The six is out of line. Flip it to a nine and reverse the sevens and eights and that's about what I'd expect for that box.

B4 mine goes in the box, I lay it out on a cutting board. I then arrange the pieces by size to get an even look. Then put them in the box.

They look good to me.

I am new to competing, but I'm predicting a trend towards more natural looking chicken. Not to say that one is better than the other.

Of course not, but perception is reality. A beautifully tanned hot chick standing in front of a beige garbage pile is not as appealing as the same chick on a white sandy beach. EVERY detail matters!

Good analogy.

I agree with Ford, perhaps having 9 in there would've helped a little. Otherwise, it looks fine to me, for a solid 8 minimum. I think you just landed on a tough table, frankly. It happens. Being first out of the shoot isn't good, some judges score something in the middle to give them room to go up or down. Being behind one that was perhaps a drop dead 9 also hurts. If you're not as perfect as them it's tough to get that 9 or sometimes even the 8...

I wouldn't read too much into the score.

Looks Good

Solid 8 maybe 9

Just the opinion of this KCBS CBJ w/10 contests under the belt who tends to score on the higher side because he also cooks and knows what it takes to make an outstanding box as the one in question....:crazy:

Back