Paint coming off (weber kettle)

ssj4vinh

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been smoking a lot of meat in my kettle. I was cleaning it this morning when I noticed the inside of the lid had a bunch of little black shiny chips in it. It seems like the paint is coming off and it is pretty impossible to clean off. I don't use soap or anything to clean the grill, I just scrape it and use a bit of water. I've never really cleaned off the inside of the lid though.

Any advice?

thanks

That's most likely creosote and not paint, a rather common thing to see on the inside of the lid of a kettle. Try using a cleaner like Simple Green and see what sort of results you get.

Yea, Chris is right, Weber kettle aren't painted and can't flake paint, they can however chip if abused. I just hose those flakes off and move on.

Appreciate all the advice

I'll try hosing, then using simple green if it doesn't work.

I see that you've already got help...

from Weber FAQ's:

Don’t worry, it’s not paint. The inside surfaces of our grill lids are not painted, they are coated with baked-on porcelain enamel which cannot peel. What you are noticing is a deposit of grease and smoke that collects during normal use. During use, the grease and smoke vapors slowly oxidize into carbon and collect on the inside of your lid. This deposit will eventually peel, and looks very similar to paint. The peeling normally starts in the center of the lid and spreads outward. It may come off in sheets or flakes, and is shiny on one side and dull on the other. These carbon deposits are non-toxic. But you might want to regularly remove the build-up. Fortunately, the peeling is easy to remove. Simply brush off all loose particles with a brass brush before you start grilling. To prevent future build-up, after every grilling session, while the grill lid is warm—not hot—wipe it with paper towels or a mild soap-and-water solution.

I use Weber lids on my UDS's and when they start getting "gunked" up, I take them and put them upsidedown on a metal bucket and take my weedburner to them...not real high heat, just enough to get that stuff nice and crispy and then after it cools, I take a plastic putty knife rounded to the shape of the lid and scrape it off clean....works like a charm and have yet to damage the Weber porcelain finish

It takes a real veteran to develop a problem like that... (in my best Myron Mixon voice):

"means he's usin it."

Sounds like somebody needs to do some nice high temp steaks to burn that stuff off.

That's just carbon build up. Knock it off with some crumbled tin foil and move on

That's most likely creosote and not paint, a rather common thing to see on the inside of the lid of a kettle. Try using a cleaner like Simple Green and see what sort of results you get.

I agree. My 16-year-old Weber does that, but it is not paint. It is a crust from cooking.

Weber's are not actually painted, but coated with a ceramic coating. The only place I have had issues is on the outside, right around the top handle. The inside of mine is great, even though it is 16 years old and stays outside 24/7/365.

Dont't worry about cleaning that coating off. Just knock off the loose pieces so they don't drop on your food. That coating won't effect the flavor of your BBQ.

CD

Back