Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Branson's BBQ Throwdown Fond du lac, WI

ooh...Freeman Brothers! Good luck! Anyone else gunna make it?

Hey everyone

currently we have 12 teams if you know anyone that is open next weekend, lets try to sign them up!! We will send out email later this afternoon to all teams

Dace

Great,

We really need some more teams! it looks like we will make it to the 15.

yes, please clarify. I just checked the branson site last week and it listed $5500 in cash prizes.

I received an e-mail saying they lost some sponsors and dropped the prize money to $1,400. Didn't think you could do that after posting a payout. I guess I'll wait and see what the final word is.

I received an e-mail saying they lost some sponsors and dropped the prize money to $1,400. Didn't think you could do that after posting a payout. I guess I'll wait and see what the final word is.

This is from the KCBS Sanctioning Request Form...

4. I agree to submit to KCBS a minimum of 90 days prior to the contest a list of all prize monies and a letter guaranteeing payment of said money.

5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5 places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion. This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising. KCBS will only post total cash award amount and will not include non-monetary amounts. There are times when circumstances make it impossible to comply, such as the loss of a sponsor. Therefore it is the policy of KCBS that any time prior to 90 days from the date of the contest, an organizer may apply to the Board of KCBS asking for a modification of the cash prize money, upon the following terms:

a. The organizer must in writing, state the cause for the modification, and the Board must find good cause, such as loss of a sponsor, in order to grant the request.

It sounds like changes due to loss of a sponsor are OK prior to the 90 day guarantee letter, but I don't see anything that would allow changes ater the 90 day window.

Also, the sanctioning request form states that the competition must "pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5 places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion." I only see prize money for first, second and third in the meat categories.

It's possible that Dace has worked this out with KCBS, so I would suggest that we let him respond to this.

Sweet Bourbon Smokers will be there..... albeit short one smoker. Gene and I will be cooking. Keith can't make it. Daisy will be with me. Sent the form in on Friday after talking to some friends. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Between UP Hog Wild, business and family there hasn't been a lot of time to be out with you folks. Can't wait to be there.:clap2:

Hello everyone,

We called Karen Walker at the KCBS on Friday morning and informed her about the sponsors loss. She informed us that this has happend before and to send out email and a letter to all teams and follow all of the rules that are above and she "would handle everything on the KCBS side" So we did these things. (We have emails of what she told us to do)We figured out with the checks we have so far what the prize money would be, knowing that there still is a few in the mail we will update as soon as we have them on hand.we spent all day friday and most of Saturday trying to find another sponsor or two for the prize money that was promised by two other sponsors in June.

At 4:30 pm on Friday we got a email from Karen Walker that we would not be able to lower the prize money and would be better to cancel event.

We do not want to cancel and won't cancel. All entry money that we get in will be put towards prize money and Hopefully we will find another sponsor to get it back to where it was. We have had two teams so far that have said they wont come unless we have the original prize money.

The real problem is if we dont have the original prize money we will have to cancel the KCBS event and have a back yard event it looks like, even though we were told that we could continue with the KCBS event Friday morning and were told no at 4:30 pm on a Holiday weekend.

It seems that there is a path to invitationals with a backyard event we are looking into it

I think that we can get the KCBS to continue the sanction if all cooks that still intend to cook our event, would let them know that you are in for the event. Also with those that sent in your check at end of last week we will increase prize money when we recieve them.

Dace

Hey everyone

After 3 days of hard work staying up till 3 am and many calls by my lovely wife. We have good news! We are going to hold the competition as originally advertised!

I need to know if you will have a tent to sleep in setup (for team placement). We thank you for signing up for our first annual competition and goood luck. I am currently sending out emails to all teams next.

Thanks

Dace

Not certain what is taking place but I do know that we are here in the UP trying to rangle up some teams so that we can make certain this thing is at least at 15. Hopefully something good will happen in short order. An organizers worst nightmare..... and all you can do is rely on the credibility of the folks who say they will sponsor and support your event. I've had them pull on me in the past.... or simply not pay. As an organizer the only choice you end up with is trying to make the event work for the good of the teams, and for Q.

My entry form and check are going in the mail this weekend.

Unfortunately we won't be competing this weekend after all.

Good luck to all the teams that will be competing. Glad to see the sponsor part worked itself out and I hope it is a success so we can look to compete here next year.

If there is any teams that have sent in entry forms in this week please let us know. We will still take some teams (who wouldn't) so sign up and enjoy some fun. Just send us a email to let us know you are coming or He** just show up!! See you all in a few days.

Dace

Back