chef paul prudhomme's chicken and shrimp jambalaya

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
we wanted some good louisiana cooking for the saints game, so we had a nice bloody mary for lunch and i got to cooking.....i followed a recipe from chef prudhomme. instead of tasso, i used benton's smoked country ham, which is simply devine. also, i substituted store bought seafood stock for homemade in the interest of time. started in a dutch oven, finished in a dutch oven. one pot meals are always great.

Ingredients

• Seasoning mix:
  • 2 whole bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons chicken fat
  • 2/3 cup smoked ham
  • 1/2 cup chopped andouille smoked sausage
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chicken, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 4 medium sized tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 cups basic seafood stock
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
  • 1 1/2 dozen medium shrimp, peeled
  • Seafood stock:
  • Shrimp heads, shells
  • 1 medium onion, unpeeled and quartered
  • 1 large clove garlic, unpeeled and quartered
  • 1 rib celery
directions

• 1 For the stock:
  • 2 Start with enough cold water to cover ingredients. Place all ingredients in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil , then simmer for several hours.
  • 3 Strain.
  • 4 For the jambalaya:
  • 5 Combine the seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
  • 6 Melt the fat in a saucepan. Add the ham and sausage and saute until crisp, about 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • 7 Add the inions, celery, and bell peppers. Saute until tender, but firm, about five minutes.
  • 8 Add the chicken, raise heat to high and cook one minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium.
  • 9 Add the seasoning mix and garlic, cook about three minutes, stirring constantly.
  • 10 Add the tomatoes and cook until the chicken is tender, about 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • 11 Add the tomato sauce, cook seven minutes.
  • 12 Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Then stir in the green onions and cook about two minutes.
  • 13 Add the rice and shrimp. Stir well, and remove from heat.
  • 14 Transfer to an ungreased 8x8 baking pan, cover with foil.
  • 15 Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve.
Source: Paul Prudhomme’s Louisiana Kitchen

Last edited:
That looks fantastic! I took a couple tries at jambalaya which were just OK (esp. due to the rice) until I got a Paul Prudhomme book - that straightened things right out! The converted rice made a big difference.

Nice pot of food right there - I'd love that for breakfast right now!

That looks fantastic! I took a couple tries at jambalaya which were just OK (esp. due to the rice) until I got a Paul Prudhomme book - that straightened things right out! The converted rice made a big difference.

Nice pot of food right there - I'd love that for breakfast right now!

thanks man.

converted rice does make a huge difference.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Great looking cook, that ingredient list sure looked intimidating, then I looked again and realized it is pretty much what I do. Of course, I have his books.

Great looking cook, that ingredient list sure looked intimidating, then I looked again and realized it is pretty much what I do. Of course, I have his books.

indeed....i was only missing a couple things from the receipe. one was the seafood stock, which i actually usually have (homemade), but somehow, ran out of.

Chef Paul's blackened red fish seasoning is a great substitute in this meal. I use it during the week when i need to put together a meal within the hour.
Yours looks like some good grub.

Back