Brisket UN-appreciation thread

So I have yet to have anyone tell me of a BBQ cut that is more overrated, anything out there?
Well Tim, here goes it. I'm not a brisket aficionado to start with, I've had a few here and there, mostly dry and not so good. A friend from Tx cooked the best I've had to date. He has since moved back to Austin. I'll eventually give it a try myself sometime though. With that being said, I think the most highly overrated cut of beef is...........The Tenderloin:shocked:! Whew, I actually said it. Since the tenderloin is a muscle of posture, it does nothing for a living so no wonder it is the most tender of all muscles. I think that's all it's got going for it. To me, it does not have near the "beefy" flavor of other cuts. I'd take a ribeye over a tender any day(unless of course, you're buying:-D). I feel purged.

Well Tim, here goes it. I'm not a brisket aficionado to start with, I've had a few here and there, mostly dry and not so good. A friend from Tx cooked the best I've had to date. He has since moved back to Austin. I'll eventually give it a try myself sometime though. With that being said, I think the most highly overrated cut of beef is...........The Tenderloin:shocked:! Whew, I actually said it. Since the tenderloin is a muscle of posture, it does nothing for a living so no wonder it is the most tender of all muscles. I think that's all it's got going for it. To me, it does not have near the "beefy" flavor of other cuts. I'd take a ribeye over a tender any day(unless of course, you're buying:-D). I feel purged.

Definitely a good argument, but I would take a mid rare seared Tenderloin over sliced brisket any day of the week.

I'm not a brisket fan either. The only time I cook it is at comps and that is because I have to. My scores usually reflect that lack of effort as well! :p A friend of mine loves it though so whatever I have left after vending at comps I give to him and he's like a kid at christmas.

But I gotta say it is funny seeing peoples panties get in a bunch as if by stating that brisket sucks is some sort of cardinal sin. Insults about being "Californian" are tossed around like we don't know anything about BBQ is pretty rude actually. Not sure why I'm sticking up for California since i hate this place with a passion but it's no different than asking someone from the south if they're inbred. They get pissy if you start throwing Deliverance jokes around but it's okay to make fun of Californians and their avacados. Ah great now I need to go scold myself for sticking up for Californians. I never thought the day would come. What next, I sign up for Nancy Pelosi's newsletter? It's like a mold growing on me. I gotta get outta here.

Last edited:
Why all of the California bashing? I've gotta chime in - name a beef cut that is worse than brisket...No other cut chews up more fuel, time and rub to come out only marginal. I cook them cuz I have to - not cuz I want to. Almost every other cut is both more flavorful and easier to prepare. This is not a regional thing to me, it is generally accepted that brisket is a low grade cut of meat. And the idea to cook something for its "Fat" is interesting, Why not just get a lump of lard and season it up?

Please give me any other cut from the cow...especially a nice plump Tri Tip even with all the fat left on...still better in my mind.

A respectful .02 to those who love brisket, just not my preference.
How do you want to define low grade? Brisket, butt, and to a degree ribs are all tough fatty cuts of meat that need to be cooked right but to me I don't think they're "worse" than other cuts on the animal. And then we go to the flip side and people go nuts for beef tenderloin which I think is very bland.

Now that said in general I find that I get bored of well done beef roasts like brisket or chuck far sooner than I do pulled pork.

Also, Tim, sounds like it's time for another bash at your place. This time it will be the "Wagu Brisket Turned into Hamburgers" bash. We can post pics of the entire process from opening the package to grinding the meat. It'll be like watching a car wreck! Set it up!

How do you want to define low grade? Brisket, butt, and to a degree ribs are all tough fatty cuts of meat that need to be cooked right but to me I don't think they're "worse" than other cuts on the animal. And then we go to the flip side and people go nuts for beef tenderloin which I think is very bland.

Now that said in general I find that I get bored of well done beef roasts like brisket or chuck far sooner than I do pulled pork.

Soy, I meant "low grade" in terms of general quality of meat structure and inherent flavor profiles compared to other cuts on a cow. I couldn't agree more about roast beef that has been miserably overcooked. Tenderloin gets high points for tenderness, but nearly a zero on flavor. I agree with you.

When one compares pork, shoulders and ribs, they are not "low grade" their inherent flavor and meat structure are desirable. They are made even more attractive by their ability be easily prepared and cooked.

I completely realize that my personal definition of "Low Grade" anything is completely subjective, and I certainly would not promote it as more.

Also, Tim, sounds like it's time for another bash at your place. This time it will be the "Wagu Brisket Turned into Hamburgers" bash. We can post pics of the entire process from opening the package to grinding the meat. It'll be like watching a car wreck! Set it up![/QUOTE

I'm down with that...I don't want any haters though. I'm just having fun with this.:p

...Insults about being "Californian" are tossed around like we don't know anything about BBQ is pretty rude actually. Not sure why I'm sticking up for California since i hate this place with a passion ...It's like a mold growing on me. I gotta get outta here.
But, you already know there is no place to go, nowhere to run too. Now eat your crappy little tri-tip and go sit in the corner with Groundhog.

I'm getting ready to start a 7.5 lb chuckie on the UDS, and it will not suck :)

Brisket is much harder to get right than chuckie, so that could explain why some people prefer other cuts of beef over it. If I had access to untrimmed choice Tri-tip at a decent price, I'd be singing praises too.

Unfortunately, it's a regional thing, and it isn't catching on down here.

It'd be cheaper to import it from CA than to move there though :)

Funny how Groundhog is catching all the crap about tri tip when I'm the one that brought it up. :confused:

Also, Tim, sounds like it's time for another bash at your place. This time it will be the "Wagu Brisket Turned into Hamburgers" bash. We can post pics of the entire process from opening the package to grinding the meat. It'll be like watching a car wreck! Set it up!

All we need to do is agree on a date, I am in :thumb:

I'm down with that...I don't want any haters though. I'm just having fun with this.:p

Sounds like fun to me, bring your meat grinder :becky:

But, you already know there is no place to go, nowhere to run too. Now eat your crappy little tri-tip and go sit in the corner with Groundhog.

:tsk:

I do find it funny how there are so many cattle in other parts of the country that seem to lack the bottom portion of the sirloin. I mean, it would seem that most cattle in Texas must certainly be born with whole sirloins, it is hard to understand their losing their tri-tip on the way to market. :p

Just to clear this up...Picanha & Tri Tip are different...

Picanha is "rump cover steak". This cut of meat is from the primal loin, sub-primal sirloin. Actually what would have been the top half of a rump roast before block or square trimmed.

Tri Tip cut from the bottom sirloin primal. This is an individual muscle. There are only (2) per animal.

Two totally different cuts. Close to each other and high quality indeed, but not the same.

Oh look, a sliced up soy bean brisket...
PC020422.jpg

Just to clear this up...Picanha & Tri Tip are different...

Picanha is "rump cover steak". This cut of meat is from the primal loin, sub-primal sirloin. Actually what would have been the top half of a rump roast before block or square trimmed.

Tri Tip cut from the bottom sirloin primal. This is an individual muscle. There are only (2) per animal.

Two totally different cuts. Close to each other and high quality indeed, but not the same.

Tim's been watching Rachel Ray again...pass it on...

You can go sit in the corner with Groundhog and JT if that will make you feel better.

Bob, if you send everyone to the corner, will that be the first ever "Bad Brethren Corner Bash"? If so, I'd like to attend. It would be really great if you came too...and yeah you can bring the BBQ Granola - it actually sounds really good.

Back