North Carolina's Rare Burger Ban Makes Red Meat Illegal

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It's been like that in the City of Chicago for a number of years.

Is food poisoning because of undercooked ground beef really a big problem or is this just more of the "we know what's better for you than you do" thing that politicians do?

I'd make a nanny state comment but its becoming increasingly hard to find a place that is willing to let adults make decisions about their own health.

They just want to control your every thought and decision because freedom of choice and thought is bad apparently.

One more reason to cook at home. And then politicians sit around and wonder why nobody wants to start a business.

You have to have certain food regulations would you want to eat in a resturant that never been inspect??? In the last several years there have been a problem with ground beef and chicken. especially the mad cow scare.

i think its probably a "lets avoid a lawsuit" thing... Farking people are so sue happy anymore

Eating a rare steak is fine. Eating rare burger is asking to get sick. I'm not sure it needed to be made a law but it could cut down on frivolous lawsuits.

160F here, I have had US tourist's ask me for hamburger rare and med rare, said sorry we have to cook them to 160F it's the law,

I give them the spreel that hambuger can become contaminated thru the grinding process, while a steak is ok to serve rare/med because bacteria is on the outside surface and gets killed during cooking, they sort of grumbled, cussed and walked away. Oh well what ya gonna do??:wink:

This has been the NC law for quite some time I believe.

Most states have the exact state law if you were to look into it. You can sometimes get a variance if you grind your own beef in house.

I do not want a rare/med. rare burger, even at home, if it wasn't ground on premises. Grinding meat takes what is on the outside (bacteria) and mixes it thoroughly throughout the product. This is where the issue is. As a consumer you have no idea what your commercially ground meat went through before ending up in that package. If you grind your own burger, you can see to it that the process is clean and sanitary. This is why it is "typically" viewed as safe to cook to lower temps with in-house ground burger.

Of course regulation is needed and nobody wants to get sued but does it have to be LAW because one person out of how many million might get sick? Are medium rare burgers causing a big enough health issue in North Carolina that this needed to be legislated? It's the usual game of bored politicians trying to make you feel safe so they can look like they care and get reelected.

Again while we where in our backyards minding our own business cooking what we wanted and how we wanted it the group of "we know what's best for everyone" took action. Perfect example of why I don't go out for that type of meal. I've owned restaurants and am full aware of the need for inspection and quality controls, actually looked forward to the inspectors visit, he did his job well and checked everything. It was a matter of pride for us to get 100% every time he came and as a matter of fact paid our people bonus's on our results. Now several restaurant, including national chains continually failed inspections but stayed open. You know I don't like speeding tickets so i don't speed, I like medium rare burgers and cook them myself at home.

Peace Out!

It is appalling how many food poisoning issues are found regarding ground beef contamination and recalls, I can remember at least two last year including another one involving Costco preformed meats. Of course, I think a lot of this comes down to people not washing their hands after using the bathroom.

Back