"To inject or not to inject"

Big B

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Okay, maybe this is treading upon dangerous ground of giving secrets away, but any info would be appreciated. I've injected both chicken and pork before, but I have never injected my brisket and wanting to experiment a little. For those of you who do inject briskets, do you inject both fat side and meat side or just one side only. And does it make that much of a difference?

We inject and use Butcher's. It would seem to me that if you do what OC suggested, inject with the grain, it should matter what side you do it on, it will pentrate through the meat while marinating.

I've "burned" meat injecting with the grain. Maybe overload maybe too much acid but never seem to do it when going across the grain.

As for fat or meat side I use the side of the flat to inject. I don't normally penetrate the meat on top or bottom side. My injector normally penetrates far enough on the sides to suffice.

If you do decide to inject your brisket shield your eyes! Somehow that injection finds it's way through the grains and can get everywhere. I've injected the bottom of one side, and it comes out the top on the other side.

When you say with the grain, do you mean your just injecting straight down on the meat side, or do you go in on an angle trying to follow the grain so as to keep the marinade in the meat.

If you do decide to inject your brisket shield your eyes! Somehow that injection finds it's way through the grains and can get everywhere. I've injected the bottom of one side, and it comes out the top on the other side.
Wrap the brisket in plastic wrap and it will help keep it from flying all over the place. It will find its way out through the holes in the plastic.
I inject into the side of the meat. I use a 4" long needle and get halfway across the meat. Hope this helps.

Big B I have done it several ways, the only reason for trying different styles in injecting would be for saturation of you product with the injection. With this in mind I have done it several ways and have found that if you go thru the grains and pull the needle out slowly while injecting you won't gain a pocket but it will go thru the layers of meat fibers. I have done it several ways and then cut the meat exactly where i injected to see what happened inside the muscle and this was the best dispersing that I found.
Also inject from the side that will be on top when cooking so it can't leach out. Some products on the market don't have the proper ingredients in it to help this from happening, ours does and so does FAB.

Interesting tip on the leaching out David. Thank you.

Inject thru the cryovac, Holds it all in there.

What Sled said.

Much easier. Bring it home, inject broth in the top side thru the cryovac and in the fridge overnight. Next day cut the cryovac, dry the brisket and apply rub. That the way I've done the last few and they have all turned out well.

inject the living carp out of it and let the judges sort it out! heck if injecting with rattle snake urine would win I would do it.

by the way, does anyone have a cup of rattle snake pee I can borrow?

Sal

Back