Question about Barrel Size.......

K

kindollbbq

I was looking at the Big Drum Smoker website, and I noticed that they sell a drum smoker that it 31" in diameter and 43" tall. I had a couple of questions about the barrels used for these...

1.) What size (in gallons) would this drum be?

2.) Anyone know where I could buy one of these drums? Know where BDS buys these drums?

Building one of these peaked my interest seeing as how you could cook a whole KCBS contest on one!!

Thanks everybody for the help.

Brandon

1. looks like 140 gallons. Thats going with 1/2 the number for the radius thats given (15.5" radius).
It would be 560 gallons with a 31 inch radius. Thats a farkin water tank not a drum:biggrin:

2. Dont know where they get em. Maybe try your local metal salvage yard if you have one. I picked up a couple 100 gallon drums for a reasonable price.

Read the UDS thread and then ask questions. It will answers the questions you have. Long but great thread. KISS rules!

DSC03151a.jpg

1. Toploader is right.... 140 gallons for the Mega model you like.

2. Well, I know where you can buy as many as you want, and they are all ready to go. Heheee. Actually it's my understanding that many of the drums that Rocky uses are made in specific production runs and that there is a minimum number in each run. This is because many models are thicker than normal drums. Mine are also taller at 43", have very heavy duty welded base rings and have a longer straight upper section (where the grates fit).​

Yeah the more I looked around after I posted, I think the approximate size is 110 Gallons. The 110 is a little smaller, but is very close. Just thinking of building something a little different. Have standard UDS and love it.

Thanks for the response

Brandon

Back