Ribs Doneness

Megawhatt

Reaction score
I've made ribs 3 times on my akorn so far. The first ones were overdone and mushy and fell off the bone. The second ones I found out about the bend test so I tried it and took the ribs off as soon as I saw the slightest amount of cracking when picked up. When bitten into they were a clean bite off the bone but there was an almost snap or crack to the bite. Third attempt I left them on a bit longer so when I did the bend test they cracked a little more I thought they might fall apart so I took them off. Same as the second ones when they were bit into they bit clean off the bone but again they bite had a snap to it. Is this how ribs should feel when bitten into? Or do I need to wait just a bit longer to get rid of that snap when bitten?

I've never had a snap or crack to the bite on ribs, even when undercooked. Are you peeling the membrane off of the back?

Megawhatt, there is no right or wrong when ribs are done, ribs are done when there done. Some like ribs fall off the bone, some like ribs with a little resistance when bitten, some like a lot of bark, some on so much bark etc.... The point is cook the ribs to your liking that's what matters.

I like fall off the bone but not mushy myself. :wink:

are you wrapping, not wrapping? Temps? Rub? Spares? Baby Backs? Details.........You can score the membrane if you cant get it to peel off......I suck at Baby Backs but my Spares are Darn Near Decent! :shock:

If you're not removing the membrane try it next time. Start by getting under it with a butter knife then grab on to it with a piece of paper towel and pull it off. Usually it will come off pretty much in one piece.

I've never had a snap or crack to the bite on ribs, even when undercooked. Are you peeling the membrane off of the back?

My question also, if you do any Catfishing or seen the fish skinners at Wallyworld pick up a set they work wonders on that membrane.

Agree with Zin. The right way is however you like them. I like membrane on with a bit of a bite to mine, but I know others do not. If you are not happy with that bite that you had, I would recommend a little more time and removing the membrane. Also, try probing with a toothpick instead of bending for another way of determining your preferred doneness. Finally, are you wrapping? That will make a big difference in time and "mushiness."

As well as all the other questions, one more.
What temp are you cooking at?
I have found that too hot will give you a tough underside on the ribs

Make sure you pull the membrane. I actually temp mine... not sure if anyone else does

Dex, you are not alone. I have been known to temp mine. I also go by bend.

Temp? meaning you check meat temp for ribs or you guys talking about some obscure method of dealing with membranes?

I check meat temps on ribs, yes . :thumb:

I prefer fall off the bone baby backs, just not mush....thats for me, the fiance, and friends.

For competition we leave a little more bite to them, but I wouldn't call it "snap", the whole rib bone just doesn't slide out like it does when I cook them for eating, the meat stays put. Then again we've only done one comp...so don't take my advice, I'm a noob :)

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it....some like overdone...some like underdone....it will come with experience where you will just be able to tell by looking at them. temp, toothpick, bend....they all work...it's just which one works best for you...

I don't peel mine, I cook 275+ NEVER foil the membrane all but disappears.
This is done to perfection according to KCBS standards
bendtest.jpg

I have the membrane removed and I do not foil since the akorn keeps so much moisture in the meat by itself. I am cooking around 275 so maybe I will try a little lower next time. Thanks for the suggestions. Also I did baby backs and spares.

Back