• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cedar-Planked Salmon

Was the plank dry or wet?

Good looking salmon! Mrs. SJ is raising her hand...I think that means she wants me to make this.....

I soaked the plank for about 2 hours. Had the UDS humming at about 300 degrees. Put the potatoes on the bottom rack for an hour. Then placed the wet plank with the salmon on the top rack.

After about 90 minutes the taters were done, so I put the plank on the bottom rack and the taters on top.

I've done the planks on my OTG before, but I really liked the UDS version a lot better.

At 300 without direct heat on the plank does it get hot enough to start the plank smoldering and give off the cedar flavor?

At 300 without direct heat on the plank does it get hot enough to start the plank smoldering and give off the cedar flavor?

Great cedar flavor, but no smoldering. It was on the bottom rack after about 30 minutes, so it did get some smoldering on the edges. It was just about right as the cedar flavor was there, but it didn't overpower the taste of the fish.

Looks awesome, hope to do something like this sometime. If it's possible on my Weber kettle.

Looks outstanding. How did you season the fish?

I brushed the fish in olive oil, then added dill weed and lemon pepper. Just before I put it on the smoker, I squeezed about 1/2 of a lemon on it. That's it. Very simple cook, but outstanding results.

I got the cheaper salmon pieces instead of the full fillet, too.

Back