Santa Maria Pit Fire

That's good to know. I couldn't hardly get a fire to burn at all in mine. I guess the fire box is too steep/deep. If I had to design it again, I'd probably make it more like a Grillery grill, but it's fine the way it is. That firebox will hold plenty of ash and won't have to be cleaned out very often. Putting the expanded metal on the fire bricks got more than enough oxygen to the fire this weekend. I was able to get a nice bed of coals and a "six second fire" in pretty short order! I did some pretty thick bbq loin strip steaks with Jocko's Mix seasoning. They were the best bbq steaks I've even done. I absolutely love the wide char/sear marks the parilla style cooking screen leaves on the meat. That screen far surpasses the old expanded metal screen my Santa Maria Bbq Outfitters pit had.
Jocko's is what I use. Suzie Q is probably the most popular on The Central Coast but I prefer Jocko's. I've only eaten at Jocko's in Nipomo once though. Far Western and A.J. Spurs were our fav's. A.J. Spurs was close and cheap if we made it in time for the early bird menu. Wish I knew how to make their beans.

I like how Jocko's Mix is finely ground as opposed to some of the other coarse ground Santa Maria blends. It always shakes on smoothly and is the right balance of garlic, salt, and black pepper.

Having had a Arizona pit the holes in the bottom sure makes it nice to get a fire going to have nice coals and I also had the argentine grill Great

I'm thinking of getting an Argentine grill insert only (no firebox, no legs) for my next project I'll be working on.
What I'm curious about is how well do chicken wings grill on the V-grates?

Haven't done any wings on mine yet. Usually just throw those in the Traeger. I'm sure they'd be fine if you left the wings whole. There's only 1/2 inch between the angle iron.

Never been to A.J. Spurs, are the beans more like ranch beans? I should do some research

Have you had McClintocks beans? They are similar but darker. They are made with pinquitos and chunks of hamburger. The broth part it really dark and rich. They bring them to the table with beef vegetable soup and salsa. They recommend you mix them all together but I eat them separately. They also bring a skillet of heavily seasoned fried potatoes. Love that place. They filmed part of Sideways in there.

Ah, pinquitos and burger bits, that explains the beans at a failed restaurant that opened up here called Red Oak Grill, or was it Red Smoke Grill?, hmmm... They did beans with ground beef bits. As I recall, the beans were better than the meat at that place.

I think the Grillery cookers are the best thought out cooker on the market, for that style of grill. But, they are not cheap, or even close to reasonable.

I think the Grillery cookers are the best thought out cooker on the market, for that style of grill. But, they are not cheap, or even close to reasonable.

I agree 100% I was just pointing out he may consider cutting an open front in the firebox of his to more immolate it.

Raising the fire up to a few inches under the front lip basically accomplished the same thing. I was able to get all the oxygen to the fire I needed to get it roaring.

I was curious so I measured the depth on mine. It's 15 1/2" with the front being about 10".

The front on mine is 14". It seems that as the surface area of the fire box gets smaller, the the depth should proportionally become more shallow.

The front on mine is 14". It seems that as the surface area of the fire box gets smaller, the the depth should proportionally become more shallow.
Yeah I would think so too. My Brother has a smaller one and it has more trouble than mine with maintaining a good fire.

I think the deeper firebox with smaller surface area (like mine) would benefit greatly from some draft holes at the bottom. I may consider doing that at some point. But, since my cooks aren't lasting longer than 20 minutes, because I'm just cooking California style BBQ steaks, I don't really see the need. I used to do ribs on my old Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters pit, and I'd get a big fire going in it, but it was hard to keep it going without starting with 30 pounds or so of charcoal. What I did this weekend on the elevated fire grate was start with a 20 lb bag of Royal Oak lump, then add 3 oak splits when the charcoal got going good. After the wood caught real good and I had a 5-6 second fire, I put the steaks on.

Back