View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
the_hunchback
Got Wood.

Default High School Event - feeding ~1300

Feels like forever since I've posted but becoming the music parent president hasn't helped with me not being able to get here.

I'm partially in charge of what we call an ice cream social. It's an annual event that the high school music parents (boosters) do every year and all of the kids perform in a laid back environment.

The past few years have grown and finally last year serving 1300 people. We have a mixture of kids and adults. Each person gets a choice of hot dog or hamburger/cheeseburger, chips and soda. Dessert consists of ice cream and/or cake/cookie/pie/etc.

We'll buy 800 hamburgers and 500 hot dogs. We're using two Sam's Club event grills - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/8-burne...rill/183402.ip. According to the description there is about 1000sq ft of cooking space.

We plan to serve food starting at 5 and going until 8. The students will start performing at 6pm and while we'll have some people showing up at 5pm the big trickle starts at 5:30pm and last year they were lined up a ways until about 7:30 and then people walked up without a line to get food until 8pm. In years past they have cooked the burgers and hot dogs and then wrapped them with the bun on in individual foil wraps.

I'll have cambros to store them in and/or big coolers - See this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=81577

I have several questions.
When should we begin to cook?
How much should I try to get done by 5pm?
We'll get inspected by the health department probably right at 5pm so I have to make sure everything is at a good temperature and whatnot.
What can I do to help make things go smoother?

People can't go back for seconds unless they pay again so we really buy the food we need, and if I need more we can make a trip down the street to get more. Our Price Chopper cuts the patties fresh for us so they aren't frozen.

Thank you for any help as this is all volunteer based so that we can help support the music program at our high school.
the_hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote