The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

IRDf883.jpg

zuwoQQ2.jpg

6tiMf08.jpg

0lKzOdM.jpg

cncK2XG.jpg

Beautiful cooks, Kevin! Is it your cookin’, charm or looks that won your wife over? Let me guess... all 3 [emoji849]

Cooked chicken last night on the Gridiron. While stopping at the local grocery store to pick the meat, I noticed they had some new products for cooking. One was a new sauce from a home state company, Daigle's. They had a nice glazing sauce called Applewood Jalapeno that I picked up and used on the yard bird. Very thin sauce, has a nice balance of sweet and spice. I'll add it to my rotation for future cooks.

I cooked the quarters at 250F for 4 hours until they reached a final temp of 170F in the thighs, then came a 30 minute rest before I dove in. I put the glaze on around 155F.

Here is a shot of the chicken right after glazing:

Y2Qed21.jpg

Here is the finished goods:

4gqCO8d.jpg

Also today when I got home from work, my pro shelving system had arrived from Blazn.:clap2:

Can't wait to get her loaded up with a lot of meat to test out all that previously unused space.

uvAnvu8.jpg

Butts and ribs

I'm thinking about a couple butts or some St L spares for my next side by side, MAK v Timberline.

Most of my recent cooks with those meats have been on the stick burner.

I know some go low the ramp, some use smoke setting others don't and others like me usually kinda h&f 275 from the get go.

How do you guys think I should do it for best comparative results?

Or butts and ribs, what is your process?

I'm thinking about a couple butts or some St L spares for my next side by side, MAK v Timberline.

I know some go low the ramp, some use smoke setting others don't and others like me usually kinda h&f 275 from the get go.

I suggest you cook them like you like to cook them.

Personally with Ribs I like go smoke for an hour then 245, 245 keeps the fan speed at 60% max rpm which creates a stronger smoke profile. I always cook naked the whole cook, serve dry and nobodies complaining.

Butts it depends what time I want to start cooking, usually put them on at 10-11pm, program the Pellet Boss for smoke for 2hrs then 225 around 8am it's going to be time to wrap (IT usually somewhere in the 160's), then crank it up to 275-300 depending how soon I want it to be done and how long I want it to rest. If I was going in the morning I'd probably go smoke for 2hrs then 275-295 depending on how fast I want the Butt done. 295 keeps the fan speed at 80% max rpm vs 300 which will be 100% again for a little more smoke.

^^^great advice! That said, I am more like a turtle when it comes to pellet smoking. More often than not I do almost the entire smoke at 210° with the meat on the upper grate. I don’t care if a butt takes 18 hours, or St. Louis ribs 8. I always give myself plenty of time. Every once in awhile I find a stubborn hunk of protein and have to bump the temp the last hour or two to finish... that’s maybe 20% of the time.

Last edited:
FIRE!!!!!!

So had my first pellet grill fire today. Started a butt on the Traeger at 3am, it was trucking along, then I took kids to school, and as I pulled back into my driveway there was TONS of smoke coming from the backyard. When I ran back there, I had smoke pouring out of the cooking chamber and the hopper and flames visible shooting under the diffuser. I flipped it off, got the butt off, and scooped all the pellets out and let it burn out. It started up again fine and seems happy, just a weird thing.

Anyone know the likely cause? Makes me nervous since one thing I love about the pellet grill is waking up in the middle of the night to put meat on and going back to bed.

FIRE!!!!!!

So had my first pellet grill fire today. Started a butt on the Traeger at 3am, it was trucking along, then I took kids to school, and as I pulled back into my driveway there was TONS of smoke coming from the backyard. When I ran back there, I had smoke pouring out of the cooking chamber and the hopper and flames visible shooting under the diffuser. I flipped it off, got the butt off, and scooped all the pellets out and let it burn out. It started up again fine and seems happy, just a weird thing.

Anyone know the likely cause? Makes me nervous since one thing I love about the pellet grill is waking up in the middle of the night to put meat on and going back to bed.

Most likely cause was a flame out and relight. Your Traeger most likely lost the fire... continuing to feed pellets... and eventually the igniter was able to reignite the fire... problem was, at this point you had a fire pot full of unburnt pellets... and BOOM... an inferno.

Best way to avoid this is to start every cook with a squeaky clean fire pot. Also, keeping your pellet grill in a fairly clean state, especially all vents, decreases the chances this type of issue.

FIRE!!!!!!

Example of why leaving your cook unattended is a risk many are not willing to take. Glad it wasn't worse.

Example of why leaving your cook unattended is a risk many are not willing to take. Glad it wasn't worse.

Yeah, fairly lucky I guess. It is in a spot where no structure is at risk as I do take a bit of precaution. If I had to watch all my cooks my bbq days would be over :(

I normally do butts and ribs at 225 all the way through, unless I wrap, then i will go up. I know you can cook some ribs, so only suggestion I will give, is spritz. I never was a fan of spritzing, but I find it is important on a pellet grill.

Yeah, fairly lucky I guess. It is in a spot where no structure is at risk as I do take a bit of precaution. If I had to watch all my cooks my bbq days would be over :(

I’ve done many MANY looong unattended cooks... I hear ya!

That's why wifi doesn't mean anything to me. I just can't go to sleep with a fire burning.

How do you like the gridiron?.

I love it! I try to find reasons to use whenever I can. Weather had me down the last two weeks because of all the rain and high wind. When I cooked the chicken it was the first time in two weeks where the forecast was clear so I just had to cook on it.:biggrin1:

It is only my second pellet smoker. For the last three years, any time I cooked on a pellet grill, it was on my GMG DC.

Coming from the DC, I'm still amazed at how quiet the Gridiron is and just how much space I have to cook on now with the shelf kit. So far it has performed perfectly. The few cooks that I've had on it make me feel confident that I can start using it in competitions and doing super long cooks without worries.

Brethren, i need your guidance.

I am in the market for a pellet smoker. I have a trusty WSM which i love. But i need something that i can set and forget these days as i have less time with a small kid to watch.

Initially i had planned to get a traeger mostly because i had heard they were solid. I was targetting the Ironwood 650 however, after reading through this thread and other sources i think i am leaning towards either the rec tec Bull 700 or the Camp Chef Woodwind sg with a searbox.

My goals here are the following:

1. Ease of use. The less i have to to tend to it the better.
2. Ability to get good smoke on the food(i know this is a downside to pellet smokers).
3. Ability to cook things like burgers, steaks and dogs and sear. Basically allow me to grill as well. Most of my cooks will be smoking but i do want the option to be able to grill the quick stuff if needed.

Seems the rec tec is the better all around smoker but the camp chef has the searbox but no wifi.

Anyone have any input on this? I also have read the GMG is also a solid option. Any other pellet smokers i should be considering in this price range?

I love it! I try to find reasons to use whenever I can. Weather had me down the last two weeks because of all the rain and high wind. When I cooked the chicken it was the first time in two weeks where the forecast was clear so I just had to cook on it.:biggrin1:

It is only my second pellet smoker. For the last three years, any time I cooked on a pellet grill, it was on my GMG DC.

Coming from the DC, I'm still amazed at how quiet the Gridiron is and just how much space I have to cook on now with the shelf kit. So far it has performed perfectly. The few cooks that I've had on it make me feel confident that I can start using it in competitions and doing super long cooks without worries.

My blaz’n is quieter than my rectec and my Memphis.

Brethren, i need your guidance.

I am in the market for a pellet smoker. I have a trusty WSM which i love. But i need something that i can set and forget these days as i have less time with a small kid to watch.

Initially i had planned to get a traeger mostly because i had heard they were solid. I was targetting the Ironwood 650 however, after reading through this thread and other sources i think i am leaning towards either the rec tec Bull 700 or the Camp Chef Woodwind sg with a searbox.

My goals here are the following:

1. Ease of use. The less i have to to tend to it the better.
2. Ability to get good smoke on the food(i know this is a downside to pellet smokers).
3. Ability to cook things like burgers, steaks and dogs and sear. Basically allow me to grill as well. Most of my cooks will be smoking but i do want the option to be able to grill the quick stuff if needed.

Seems the rec tec is the better all around smoker but the camp chef has the searbox but no wifi.

Anyone have any input on this? I also have read the GMG is also a solid option. Any other pellet smokers i should be considering in this price range?

Between the two you mention, and looking at your goals, Rec Tec all the way.

BTW, I own a Rec Tec so full disclosure.

On a side note, you have those who will tell you that a WSM is "set it and forget it".

Like you, I own a WSM too, and I know very well that it's not set it and forget it.

Heading to a friends this weekend who's wife thinks brisket is a crap meat and always fatty. Oh no no.... so throwing on a 10# prime from costco this Friday and heading their way on Saturday morning when it finishes. The YS640 is all cleaned and ready. Ill let it sleep on the way to their place and hopefully change her mind.

Back