Comment Cards?

Do you find comment cards helpful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In 2011, the KCBS Rules Committee suggested that comment cards be modified so that there were check boxes that said things like:

Too Salty
Too Sweet
Too Spicey
Under Seasoned
Off Flavor
Over Cooked
Under Cooked

This idea was never addressed to the best of my knowledge but it sure seemed like a very good improvement to those of us on the committee.

And a section for things they put on comment cards but shouldn't :becky:

• Meat was too cold
  • Didn't have more than 6 pieces
  • Didn't have pulled in the pork box
  • Didn't have slices in the pork box
  • Didn't have burnt ends in the brisket box
  • Was really, really good but I never give 9s (the "new england" option)
  • Was really, really bad but I never give under a 7 (the "southern state" option)
  • Portions too small to put in my cooler
  • I don't eat [check all the apply] chicken, pork, beef
  • I don't like smoked meat

Seriously, I think the pull tab is a good idea - or just put the team number at the bottom and tear it off. No need for special paper. There aren't a LOT of comment cards, so wouldn't be a lot of work for the reps. I also think check boxes would be helpful, but should include compliments as well as negative things to encourage the judges to use them for things they like too

Telling someone not to use lighterfluid when they dont use lighterfluid, or telling them how to cook, is goofy and stupid.

Agreed judges should comment on what they tasted and not what they thought the cook did wrong, though one can translate the lighter fluid comment to mean "it was over smoked and you got creosote on your meat"

Some comments are a bit confusing as most judges don’t have enough time to write proper notes while judging. I’ve gotten judging notes that say:
Judge 1. Too spicy
Judge 2. Not enough spice
Judge 3. Too much sauce
Judge 4. Not enough sauce.
Judge 5. Overcooked
Judge 6. Undercooked
In other words, in something as subjective as taste, sometimes judge’s notes can be worthless and take you down the wrong path on the next cook if you take them to heart. I try and concentrate more on overall score as compared to the other cookers to make minor adjustments.

In my opinion, the comment cards provide value and insight. We tried a sauce that flopped. It was an experiment and without the cards I would not of known what the issue of the ok scores were. And now that sauce is retired :>)

Seems that the results of this poll provide a resounding "YES" to the helpfulness of comment cards. Additionally, several good and simple ideas were provided in the comments as to how to resolve the issue regarding removing the alternate number from the comment cards. Hopefully there can be some resolution to the issue soon. It would be nice to know judges have the option to use them again.

This weekend's Battle Of BBQ Brethren was not KCBS sanctioned and I received 5 comment cards, 4 of which told me my brisket was too salty, and one for ribs, "sauce too sweet and too much"
Worthwhile?
Absolutely! 1 card saying too much salt I could it chalk up to a judge being sensitive to salt, I really didn't think it was too salty when I tasted. But for 4 judges to comment same thing? I need to make a change.
I'm not sure what the instructions to the judges were, but I appreciate the cards and will take their criticism to heart. Wishing I could expect the same at my next KCBS contest.

I'll post an example of the the scorecards we use for the Frostbuster BBQ when I get home tonight. It's just like what was suggested with check boxes for bad and good flavors and profiles. Also, at the Frostbuster the judges must comment on Good and Bad flavors. What they liked, what they didn't like..things like that and it doesn't take any longer for the judges to fill out these cards.

Nope, I don't want them to tell me anything. Just give me an honest score that is fair when compared with others. I'm one of the few who don't care for comment cards and have found no benefit in them. But that's just my worthless opinion.

Why would you try to twist my comment? Just stating a fact.

As a KCBS Judge we are trained and told NOT to compare the entries. Each entry is to be judged on its own merits. If you haven't judged a contest you should. 99% of the judges I have sat with do take the time to give a fair and honest score.

Here it is. This is the card we use for our contest, Frostbuster BBQ.
All the certified judges, included a few master judges, like the card and have no trouble getting it filled out in the half time frame.
The numbers on the right top 1-6 and 7-12 have some general comments. If you notice 1-6 are the bad comments and 7-12 are the good comments and that corresponds to the very right column where the judges are to circle the number. There is also plenty of space to for a comment.

View attachment judgingslip.pdf

I think any score of 7 or lower should be required to have a comment card.

Plus if a score is under 7, they should be thoughtfull and put there phone number down!
In reallity if the table captain sees 999 988 988 998 then a 566, 967 the low scoring judge should have to explain...I can see maybe a tough or dry rib, but how do all give 9 for appearence then a 5??
Then last year I got a comment card that ribs were too juicy? That it squirted when bit into?:crazy: I don't even inject ribs...
but comment cards are usefull, as sometimes direction we travel is down a one way street..

All the certified judges, included a few master judges, like the card and have no trouble getting it filled out in the half time frame.
The numbers on the right top 1-6 and 7-12 have some general comments. If you notice 1-6 are the bad comments and 7-12 are the good comments and that corresponds to the very right column where the judges are to circle the number. There is also plenty of space to for a comment.

View attachment 83328

I LOVE IT!!! GREAT concept to actually let the cooks know WHY they got the scores that they received.

I've stated it MANY times and continue to believe that judging could be greatly improved by going to this type of scorecard (requiring a comment on every entry). Not only does this put the responsibility of "justifying" the score on the judge, but also will weed-out judges that aren't really wanting to improve the overall process (not taking the responsibility serious). There are enough "serious" judges around that losing a few "non-serious" judges will not only be beneficial to the system, but will give the serious judges better opportunities to be confirmed at contests - improving the system even further.

Whatever can be done to improve judges and the overall process is definitely worth the extra time and effort!

View attachment 83328

I LOVE it, particularly the format of the whole card. I think a combination of my negative section and your remainder would probably be the best (I know a lot of judges who think they know when something is undercooked, but frankly are wrong and visa versa), plus there are other negatives to be had...

View attachment 83328

Very nice indeed!!!

Just thinking, would there be any reason to have a # 13 - Other on the numbers/comments side? Or, maybe that would get to confusing?

Just thinking...........

wallace

View attachment 83328

Question and if answered before I apologize in advance. Using this form, a entry has several or at least more then one of the scores to the right. Do you circle the most important one or all that apply? I could see circling 7,8,9,10 AND 11 on the same entry as they could ALL apply. Just wondering what is done for this.

This weekend's Battle Of BBQ Brethren was not KCBS sanctioned and I received 5 comment cards, 4 of which told me my brisket was too salty, and one for ribs, "sauce too sweet and too much"
Worthwhile?
Absolutely! 1 card saying too much salt I could it chalk up to a judge being sensitive to salt, I really didn't think it was too salty when I tasted. But for 4 judges to comment same thing? I need to make a change.
I'm not sure what the instructions to the judges were, but I appreciate the cards and will take their criticism to heart. Wishing I could expect the same at my next KCBS contest.

thanks to those comment cards I dialed back the salt for the sam's club Medford NY contest and took 1st in Brisket!!

Question and if answered before I apologize in advance. Using this form, a entry has several or at least more then one of the scores to the right. Do you circle the most important one or all that apply? I could see circling 7,8,9,10 AND 11 on the same entry as they could ALL apply. Just wondering what is done for this.

It's intended to help the judge in the judging of thier plate. They could circle what ever applies to that entry. Just one number or all the numbers. They also must provide a comment, good or bad, on the entry.

Back