Help! My first UDS attempt

Ok fair enough. I assume a basket full of charcoal can go a full 12 or more hours? If not I guess you have to pull the meat, grate and basket to refill.

my 12" high, 17" diameter basket full of coals will go 40+ hours at 210 degrees depending on a couple of factors

Here is a post of a UDS using bolt legs.
rk7i.jpg

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2958759&postcount=2

• Thanks
Reactions: Zed
So I can buy a sheet of expanded for 65.00 bucks locally and build everything I need. Or I can drive 2 hrs one way and get a 25 inch grate for 15 bucks and then find the fire box elsewhere.

So I can buy a sheet of expanded for 65.00 bucks locally and build everything I need. Or I can drive 2 hrs one way and get a 25 inch grate for 15 bucks and then find the fire box elsewhere.

Try to build it first if you have the supplies. Nothing beats homemade. My trailer looks like chit but I am very proud of it.

Sounds like a recovery drum? I have one, made my own grates (3) out of expanded metal, made the same sized charcoal basket that i use in a 55 gallon drum, works great. Good Luck.

You have any photos of the grates? Im trying to get an idea of how to make them sturdy out of expanded steel.

Having a lower door on a UDS or not falls into 2 camps

One group points out that "it is not really needed" and will lay out logical reasons to support that view.

The other groups says "I want one whether I need it or not - neener neener- so there!"

I'm in the "it's not really needed" group but also a card carrying member of the "It's your drum- do your thing" group.

Share pictures of your progress, if you don't mind.

Those perforated baskets work well for your charcoal. It's what I have in mine (I got it for $7 on clearance at Academy). The only problem you'll have is that the bottoms tend to burn out rather quickly. For the price, you could probably buy expanded metal and make your own for less.

Guys I have a old aluminum pressure cooker about 30 qts or so. It's thick walled and Id like to use it as my charcoal basket. Any reason I could drill holes and use it?

You can make a basket out of anything that will hold coals and will survive the heat. But like building anything, you will find that some materials are better suited than others. I'd avoid aluminum or galvanized steel. If you are good at scrounging, the bottom foot of a 30 gallon or 16 gallon drum with a piece of xpando to hold your coal would make a dandy charcoal basket.

Like anything, you can build it cheap and it will work great. But there is always a point where too cheap of materials means you will have to keep building it. but I do want to see how budget you can get. I take pride in being thrifty and because of that I've learned a lot about rebuilding or fixing something over and over when spending a little more the first time would have done the job. Sometimes buy once, cry once makes sense. Good luck and post pics!

I'm not a UDS guy but just want to ask from a safety point, What was reclaimed into the barrel and how are you going to prep it to handle food?

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just heard other folks on the forum discuess this in the past.

Good Luck with the build!

I'm not a UDS guy but just want to ask from a safety point, What was reclaimed into the barrel and how are you going to prep it to handle food?

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just heard other folks on the forum discuess this in the past.

Good Luck with the build!

Great question, the drum as far as I know based off where I got it was a recovery drum for a fragrance used to make soap. The inside appears to be bare metal. I have no idea if it was used for other liquids before so I will assume it was and proceed accordingly. I plan on first rinsing it and washing it out. While doing so I will inspect further for a clear liner out clear coat. Then if it passes that step I'll burn the barrel until I feel it's good to go. If I missed any steps any please speak up.

Back