• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My UDS build using BPS kit.

Looks sweeeeet!!!! That Big Poppa kit rocks!!! Quick question though... Did you paint the inside of the drum black or is that seasoned?????

The faucet was an after thought. Figured if i ever had to wash drum out or put out coals real quick with water i could use it to drain barrel easy.

The inside is not painted, it was an unlined drum, so i burned it out sprayed it down with cooking spray, burned it again and sprayed it again. I will run a basket or 2 thru when finished just to make sure its clean and seasoned. I tend to over-do things.

The paint is 2000 deg VHT primer, then 650 deg burnt copper engine metallic, then 650 deg clear.

Looks great the paint really sets it off. Adding the rods for hanging meat is a nice touch.

I think the faucet valve is for washing out the barrel without having to tip it over. Air control is handled by the sliders, those rectangular vents have slider doors, that can be used to tailor air flow. Can you tell I have looked at these before?

Awesome pit! what did you use to mount the shelf? what brackets? might want to follow your lead for my pbs

I think the weekend after the Superbowl it is about time that I build my UDS. That is an awesome build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done!

I think it's time to modify my UDS slightly so I can hang meat. I already have 1/2" rebars laying around. I'll bend a set of stainless steel skewers into hooks.
Instead of poking holes into the drum itself for the rebars I have a separate 3" tall ring that fits perfectly between the drum and the dome lid which will become the hanger assembly.

Please let us know how those slider vents control air flow. I like the looks of them but wonder how much they might leak in comparison to ball valves. Been drooling for a while over the BPS-UDS kit.

The slider vents control air flow just fine. There might be a slight amount of leak, but not enough to make a difference. I have no problem shutting the fire down when I close them. Temps are very stable.

Back