Butterfly Chicken Pron

EZE

Reaction score
Sunday night dinner. Don't know why I made two whole chickens for just Courtney and myself... any ideas on what to do with the leftovers?

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 257
There's leftovers?

Looks pretty awesome. How about some details on how you did them?

There's leftovers?

Looks pretty awesome. How about some details on how you did them?

I butterflied the chickens by cutting out the backbone and removing the kale bone. Dry rubbed them on both sides and threw em on the WSM w/ a couple chunks of apple wood. After about an hour at 275-300 I glazed them with a spicy habanero bbq sauce mixed with pineapple preserves and brown sugar. Let them cook for about 20 more minutes then finished over direct heat to crisp up the skin a bit.

Send the left overs to me. I will make...
Chicken tacos
OR
Chicken corn chowder
Or
Chicken pot pie
Search this site for more ideas. Those look great.

They look delicious. My mouth is watering.

If I had a bird left over I would be making a brunswick stew!

I butterflied the chickens by cutting out the backbone and removing the kale bone.

I think that is keel bone as in the keel of a ship.

Looks Great!
How bout some chicken noodle salad, with extra peas.....
Good eats

I'll vote for chicken pot pie. i think Larry did chicken pot pie recently that looked great (or was it someone else?). Also, how about chicken salad?

looks delicious, i have a habit of cooking too much as well!

definitely agree with the taco suggestion... some bbq sauce, hot sauce, caramelized onions, all in a skillet then tossed in some tortillas with cheese, superb

I say chicken pot pies like two of the previous brethren.

Well after a sixer I was suddenly hungry again so here is my first leftover pron. Planning pot pie and maybe brunswick stew this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 207
Chickens look great. The skin is always tricky. How'd your skin turn out?

Smoking an extra chicken is pretty standard fare at my house. We try to keep shredded chicken in the freezer for some of the very same quick recipes you have mentioned already. However, our favorite is Tortilla Soup.

You did good by making that extra chicken,you gotta have enough leftovers.
Smoked 2 pieces of pork for my Moms church last weekend,I knew that 1 was enough but like I said....you gotta have enough leftovers!:-D
Nice birds BTW!

Chickens look great. The skin is always tricky. How'd your skin turn out?

Overall I was pretty satisfied with the skin. I ran the WSM with an empty water pan for higher temps which helped. A few spots still seemed like the skin was thicker and a bit chewy. Don't know if it was just the bird, the top grate chicken dripping a little on the bottom grate one or something else.

You could always try my enchilada recipe - works great with chicken. I also like to make wraps with leftover smoked chicken, usually with mayo, avocado, romaine, and tomato, rolled into a flatbread.

Smoked chicken salad is always a hit. Mayo, green onion, celery and pecans. Mmm Mmm good.

You people keep saying salad!!
No! Salad isn't food. Salad comes with the food. Salad is a promisary note that something good is going to happen... and I should just wait right here.
John Pinette
:grin:

I agree with the "What leftovers?" crowd...

Back