Kinda Pit Beef or "Pit"alian Beef

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For the SuperBowl (come find me and sue me for using that term!:evil:), I made what I’m calling pit beef or “pit”alian beef. I was somewhat inspired by Italian beef recipes.

I started with 4 lb. upper round roasts. I rubbed them with Bovine Bold and put them in my UDS at 325. I put apple chips and a hickory chunk in the basket of lump. I pulled them off at an internal temp of 130 and let them rest in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I sliced it as thin as possible and put it in Ziplocks (for stuff to be consumed later that day) and Foodsaver bags (for stuff being consumed sometime later).

I made a “gravy.” It consisted of:
4 cups water
Enough beef stock powder for 2 cups
2.5 Tablespoons of my all purpose BBQ rub
4 Tablespoons of a sweet BBQ sauce

Now, usually Italian beef comes with giardeniera. The BBQ equivalent? Well, fried onions of course! I fried sweet onions in butter (Paula Deen mod) and a heavy dusting of all purpose BBQ rub. These things can be eaten on their own!

At feeding time, I warmed the gravy. When it was hot (don’t boil it or your meat gets rubbery), I put the sliced smoked beef in and served it with Italian type rolls. Each person made a sammich with the dripping beef topped with the fried onions. For extra goodness, the sammich can be dipped in the gravy.

It was a hit! Smoky, a little sweet, spicy. I’ll be making this again for family functions because the “day of” work is pretty limited to warming gravy in a crock pot. Goes a long way too.

I apologize for the lack of pictures. Think of an Italian beef with a smoke ring and fried onions.

Back