First KCBS Comp

ewatts2003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!

I will be competing in my first sanctioned KCBS contest on July 7th and had a couple of questions/concerns. First, I have read the KCBS rule sheet and understand most of it, but what are the required items that I will need to have as far as safety goes? I'm guessing there is a certain type/size of fire extinguisher, and I know about the wash tubs for utensils.

Also what are some things you guys can't do without for the contest other than the obvious items? I think I have a pretty good list put together from reading the information on this site and talking to a couple of other people, but am always interested in more input! Thanks in advance guys!

Eric

- 5lb Fire Extinguisher, Bleach/Sani tabs/soap with 3 wash buckets, ash bucket.
- If you haven''t built the PVC risers for a folding table I HIGHLY recommend doing that. Your back will thank you. Bring an extra table too if you have it.
- Trim meat ahead of time, especially chicken.
- Extra thermometers
- Extra foil
- Extra beer/bloody mary mix

Good luck :)

- 5lb Fire Extinguisher, Bleach/Sani tabs/soap with 3 wash buckets, ash bucket.
- If you haven''t built the PVC risers for a folding table I HIGHLY recommend doing that. Your back will thank you. Bring an extra table too if you have it.
- Trim meat ahead of time, especially chicken.
- Extra thermometers
- Extra foil
- Extra beer/bloody mary mix

Good luck :)

I have 2 tables, both with extensions already made for them. I plan on trimming all of the meats on Thursday night...if it doesn't work out like that I will at least do the chicken. I'll make sure I grab the extinguisher from work before I head out! Thank you!!

I have 2 tables, both with extensions already made for them. I plan on trimming all of the meats on Thursday night...if it doesn't work out like that I will at least do the chicken. I'll make sure I grab the extinguisher from work before I head out! Thank you!!

Personally, I'd prioritize trimming like this

Chicken
Brisket
Pork
Ribs

One question I do have about the wash tubs. Do you need hot water for the tubs? Or does the sanitizer take place of the hot water? I have enough utensils/knives that I have separate boxes for each category and when I am done everything goes back into its own box...nothing will get reused. But I also want to make sure I follow the rules/guidelines just in case I do need to wash something for some reason.

One question I do have about the wash tubs. Do you need hot water for the tubs? Or does the sanitizer take place of the hot water? I have enough utensils/knives that I have separate boxes for each category and when I am done everything goes back into its own box...nothing will get reused. But I also want to make sure I follow the rules/guidelines just in case I do need to wash something for some reason.

Nope, no hot water needed. But, a lot of people use those propane heat exchanger things as things just clean up a lot easier. We do find ourselves cleaning quite a bit, especially knives and cutting boards.

One other thing I'd recommend is disposable cutting boards. They become a pain to clean the big ones in the tubs. Look for Stark Boards on Amazon.

Take lots of pictures, look forward to hearing about your experience and how you placed.

I will for sure! I'm going to be doing everything myself, other than maybe having some help to deliver the turn in boxes. I'm looking forward to doing an actual judged competition for once though!

Oh yes! If you have the iphone with portrait mode it makes your food look AT LEAST 10x better for social media purposes.

Disposable cutting boards. Those are the one thing that I couldn't live without. I use them at home as well.

Don't spend too much time worrying about dish station. Other than cleaning my slicing knife there is nothing I need to wash at a comp. I put a HD contractor trash bag in a plastic tub and throw all my dirty dishes in. Put a lid on and make sure you take it inside when you get home!

Good luck.

In 100 KCBS contests, I have been asked to show a fire extinguisher 1 time and I have never been asked about wash tubs, sinks, etc.

We’ve been asked many time and have not only had the type and size checked, they looked for a valid inspection date. Grand Rapids Michigan and Kenosha, WI both check every team.

In 100 KCBS contests, I have been asked to show a fire extinguisher 1 time and I have never been asked about wash tubs, sinks, etc.

Pretty much the same. Never once been asked about the wash tubs, but bring them just in case. Fire extinguisher we have a 5lb and it's maybe been checked twice.

Dan ALWAYS checks for fire extinguishers at the PigMania events here in Ohio. Pretty much the only place we've ever been asked though.

Ive been checked in every one we've done for everything safety and cleanliness related. Guess it depends on the reps.

Back