The Pizza Chronicles. Stick Burner Pies

Jed, this is a great tutorial. Couple questions if you don't mind. I saw the BBQ thermo pegged, what temps do you think you were hitting for the cook. How critical do you think the upper charcoal plate was for you?
Dave, I have no way of knowing for sure how hot the temp was, my infrared thermometer is in transit to France. In my WFO I like to be around 750* to 800* The upper plate was key to process as it provided a refractory element. Once the bottom of the pie was cooked I used the peel to raise the pie up off the stone and finish the top of the pizza. Total cook time per pie was around 2 minutes.

Thanks for sharing this process, Jed. I'll have to ask TQ to make me one of those griddles, so I can try it. Two questions, please: Did you put hot coals on top of the griddle during the cook? How bad was the paint damage? (I love pizza, but I love my smoker more)

Thanks for sharing this process, Jed. I'll have to ask TQ to make me one of those griddles, so I can try it. Two questions, please: Did you put hot coals on top of the griddle during the cook? How bad was the paint damage? (I love pizza, but I love my smoker more)
I put a shovel full of hot coals on top. The blister is not bad at all!

Man, you had to be pretty hot, 2 minutes for a pie is fast, even for a WFO.

Man, you had to be pretty hot, 2 minutes for a pie is fast, even for a WFO.
Minute and a half in my WFO, Antimo Caputo 00 flour for high temps and your good to go, that is where you get the spring and the soft center in the crust. Lower temps make for a flater harder crust.

Back