just a few brisket questions

letdasmokeroll

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
IMG_20130726_161859_869_zps36b3d55c.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p767/kevin_johnson6/IMG_20130726_161911_670_zps77f8d70d.jpg
just wondering can i rub it and let it sit overnight to start smoking in the morning ...this will be the first whole brisket i have done ...btw not sure but i felt like that was a good price too

I rub mine if I am not doing a comp then smoke the next day. Should be fine. I cant really say I paid attention to the price on the last one I bought but that price doesn't look bad to me.

I've let steaks sit with a good S&P&G rub in the fridge, open to the air and turned ever so often, with good results so I imagine it wouldn't hurt a brisket. 2.58/lb would be a good price around here if choice.

There is no real advantage to it, I light my fire and do my prep while the pit is warming up. If I take my time it might take 20 min to do a brisket and that includes walking it out to the pit.

I inject with a beef broth mixture, let set about 12 hours and then rub and throw it on the pit. I've never had a failure. Imho, the injection is VERY beneficial.

I've done it both ways inject rub and toss on pit and the whole inject rub and toss in fridge for 24 hours and honestly I can't tell the difference

Okay, I am officially jealous of the brisket prices you all are talking about. I never can find Choice for less than $4.99/lb. Of course, I haven't gone to RD yet either. Mostly shopping at butcher shops.

Okay, I am officially jealous of the brisket prices you all are talking about. I never can find Choice for less than $4.99/lb. Of course, I haven't gone to RD yet either. Mostly shopping at butcher shops.

Yeah but what quality of brisket? We normally run about $1.99 a lb for Choice. I won't cook less than Choice for brisket.

To the OP, $2.58 ain't bad. Would sure would like to see how you trimmed that rig. Where's the fat cap etc.

Looks like a good cut. :thumb:

I usually prep mine with s&p and inject the night before just so I don't have to mess with it later. I like to take my time so I make sure I'm not forgetting anything and think things through.

lol i forgot to take pics of it trimmed ...since this was my first whole brisket it wasnt pretty i must admit but i did the best i could :wink:

IMG_20130727_121703_168_zpsa34c652b.jpg

cruzing right along briskey looking good and a stuffed fatty for lunch ribs going on in just a bit

since this is my first whole brisket i also decided to use my char-griller w/fire box as a stick burner for the first time lol this has been a lot of fun

Back