FEC holding temp?

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I plan on using my FEC for cooking and holding my briskets and butts during comps. When I have reached the desired temps of my meats what temp would you recommend using for holding?

I prefer a Carlisle but if you use the FE I'd gp with about 160. 140 is the legal holding temp (135 now according to FDA but not Servsafe) but it's a little low. With the IQ4 it will hold for 3 hours but watch the ash buildup in the firebox. Temp could drop. Can't really hold with old FE's.

Why will it only hold for three hours? Is there more ash build-up at lower temps?

There is more ash build up at lower temps, because the fire doesn't really burn the pellets just smolder. I have learned the hard way that 140 is too low and 180 is too high. I am going to try 160 the next time

Remember at 160 you are no longer cooking but the meat will slowly give off heat as well as the pellets smoldering. Delta between 200F and 160F means real slow cooling. So it's a real low fire and if it does burn a little cleaner when you open the door then it raises the temp significantly. You want the meat to rest not continue to cook so 3 hours then onto the counter for at least an hour. There's other tricks like venting before holding.

I don't undrstand why the pellets would burn less efficiently at a lower temp. How does the cooker control that? I was under the impression that temperatures were controlled by the amount of pellets being fed into the firebox. If you set it for a lower temp doesn't it just add less fuel? I don't see why that would make the fire smolder or make more ash

Cambro. I think you are overthinking the FEC. I don't know too many pelletheads doing that. Actuallyh none. You want the meat to rest. But if it works, great! At this stage in your career, I wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel.

Good luck Nate!

Thanks for all your help, guys. I got the impression that the FEC was used for holding because Cookshack sells a thermometer that monitors the temp of the meat and when the meat hits the correct temp the unit goes into a holding phase. Maybe that's not designed to hold for long periods. I really appreciate the help!

Question:
What's the difference between cambroing the big cuts or holding them in the FEC at 160? (assuming the meat is vented and close foiled again)

Last year I started to keep a digital thermometer in my holder and the probe reads about 160-165 shortly after I put my butts in. 2-3 hours later when I'm ready to take them out it reads about 150. I was glad to see Don post holding at 160 as that was going to be my suggestion to him at the next comp too.

Is the risk drying out the meat since the FEC has air movement?

So far holding in the FEC is working with our pork, but not so much for our brisket.

If you know you are getting done that early, why start cooking that early? Put the meats on a little later and get done closer to turn in. Holding is no good for large meats for comps.

If you know you are getting done that early, why start cooking that early? Put the meats on a little later and get done closer to turn in. Holding is no good for large meats for comps.
A number of people teaching expensive classes might disagree with you. Of course I took classes in 2007 so maybe they have changed since then. I hear some are really going hotter and fast now.

I'm going to start brisket 2 hrs later this weekend to cut back on the hold time. Our pork could probably stand less hold time as well.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I got the impression that the FEC was used for holding because Cookshack sells a thermometer that monitors the temp of the meat and when the meat hits the correct temp the unit goes into a holding phase. Maybe that's not designed to hold for long periods. I really appreciate the help!

Honestly Nate, I won't quote anyone from Cookshack on this. but those probes were made for the vendor/restaurant type application. You could stick a probe in them and once they hit temp, they fall back to that hold temp. My feelings are... If they were meant for comp applications. They would supply them for all purchases. They don't do that, so no need to use it...

Bob, I am not sure why it happens with the 160. I can't argue that, but I know they are different kind of heat. I understand that 160 is 160. but they are different. Like I said, if it works, awesome. But I sure wouldn't be trying it and I have been cooking on a FE for almost 10 years now... Have I tried it? Yes, with no success at all.

You lose a lot of moisture when holding in a cambro or at 140 degrees. It is simple to prove to yourself, cook a brisket and pull it when it is done and let rest for 30 minutes out on a table, and put one in a cambro or a cooler for three hours and take out and cut. Tell me which one is better. I have experimented many times with all big meats and there is a huge difference. As far as the guys teaching the expensive classes that teach cambros and holding AT 140 as part of a method shame on them!

You lose a lot of moisture when holding in a cambro or at 140 degrees. It is simple to prove to yourself, cook a brisket and pull it when it is done and let rest for 30 minutes out on a table, and put one in a cambro or a cooler for three hours and take out and cut. Tell me which one is better. I have experimented many times with all big meats and there is a huge difference. As far as the guys teaching the expensive classes that teach cambros and holding AT 140 as part of a method shame on them!

Apples and oranges, you're resting one, holding the other. I may be wrong but I understood by resting meat you are letting it cool enough that it stops releasing liquid and retains moisture. By holding meat you are keeping it a temp above the danger zone of bacteria but below the temperature of the cooked product. Is that accurate or am I way off?

Sean I agree with you. The thing I see a lot of people do that makes me wonder in make sure they get their meat in a cambro as part of their process and cooking. Maintaining temps for the length that they do in these cambros is no good for meat. It will continue to cook and overcook and dry out. My point is, why make it needed to cambro for 3 hours if you can just put your meat on that much later???? Makes no sense to me.

Back