Smelly Boston Butts

ButchB

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just opened a 2 pack of butts from rest depot. I bought them last week and they have been in the fridge set at 35 degrees since i got them home. I opened them a few mins ago to start prepping and they stink pretty bad. I rinsed them off and it helped but still i've never smelled any this strong. Kinda torn on what to do. I hate to trash them but don't wanna get sick either. What would you do? Thanks

Pork does not "wet age" like beef and definitely should not smell. A week is a bit long to hold pork in the fridge. But, YMMV! I wouldn't take the chance - pork is cheap, ER visits are not!

Let them sit for an hour out of the cryo, if the smell is still bad, then let them go away.

If you are gonna toss em give RD a call and see what they can do. Wont be the first time they have gotten the call about smelly pork. It happens

I went ahead and tossed them. The entire house smells rancid and my wife walked in and flipped out when she smelled it. It really was pretty bad. Just sucks that that money is down the drain but better safe than sorry.

I had a similar experience with a cryo pack from the local grocery store. Looked great but smelled very strongly. I returned it for exchange no problem. She said they have had quite a few come back all from the same packer, all put up with in two days of each other. May have been a process issue but not noticed until you opened it up. Worth a try on return but certainly would not eat it.

When in doubt, throw it out. I would have taken them back to RD.

I'd love to return them but RD is an hour and a half from my house, which makes it suck even more because i lost gas money on top of the price i paid for the butts. I'm sure they would want them returned if they were to issue a credit or refund.

Call RD up and tell them that you bought some butts and when you opened up the vac bags they smelled bad and that you were not comfortable cooking up possibly bad pork. They might do something for you.

Also pork doesn't wet age very well as mentioned above. My rule is if I am not going to use it within 4 days, it goes into the freezer, and I'll thaw it out later if I decide I will use it.

Been there and done that: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98915&highlight=OneHump+butts+smell

The smelly butts that I had turned out to be from a box that had expired 3 months prior. No idea what it was doing at the grocer's cold storage. I'm thinking that, in your case, a week is a bit long for non-frozen butts.

Edit: The linked thread isn't what I was shooting for. I had another thread going with some really smelly butts. Either way, I tossed them.

It never hurts to give them a call. Even if you had to take a hit. Maybe they go check the rest and throw them out so no one else waste their time and money.

I'm glad you threw them out, especially after you described that smell... Yeah, give RD a call. I'm sure they dont want to lose a customer, even one who is that far away...

I went on RD website and sent a feedback/comment to them explaining what happened. Within 10 minutes the manager from the Charlotte store calls me and apologizes and says to find him next time I come into the store and he will replace them free of charge. I was like wow I never expected that just wanted to give you a heads up. I wish everywhere had that kind of customer service.

I went on RD website and sent a feedback/comment to them explaining what happened. Within 10 minutes the manager from the Charlotte store calls me and apologizes and says to find him next time I come into the store and he will replace them free of charge. I was like wow I never expected that just wanted to give you a heads up. I wish everywhere had that kind of customer service.

THAT is customer service.....

Yahtzee!!

That is some great costumer service right there! It never hurts to contact stores where you get bad product from. I have found even if it is to just notify them so they can go through their stock and check for any expired product, letting them know always help. But the stores will normally take care of the issue and try to make it right with you.

Back