Brisket sauce?

Make you some o this thank me later

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*
By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster
Louie Muller BBQ
1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste
In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.
Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.
* As originally printed in the October 24, 1984 Milwaukee Journal

Or your blackjack sauce, which I am completely obsessed with. That stuff after sitting in the fridge for a few days is magical.

for brisket i do tend to prefer it without sauce, but if i do add sauce it needs to be a thin tomato sauce with a little kick, i don't like thick molasses type sauce on brisket. Dinosaur BBQ's Wango Tango (habanero hot sauce) is great for beef (goes great on meatloaf too!)

Anyone ever tried this?

B528EF81-29BE-4526-87D5-7CEF30BE8D12_zpsodjqlfkw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I bought it some time ago and its been in my pantry for a while. Never tried it . . .

Brisket Sauce turns into Mayo Talk? Personally I am scared of Mayo and do not sauce my brisket. Am I going to hell?

I know this.
Dipping french fries in mayo is a European thang!

As to the OP, I have not tried any sauce(s) on my brisket, not sure I want to.

As to the add'l "mayo thread";

From Wikipedia

Hellmann's and Best Foods are brand names that are used for the same line of mayonnaise and other food products. The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Canada. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.
Hellmann's and Best Foods are marketed in a similar way. Their logos and web sites resemble one another, and they have the same English slogan: "Bring out the best".
Both brands were previously sold by the U.S.-based Bestfoods Corporation, which also sold several other food products in addition to Hellmann's and Best Foods mayonnaise. Bestfoods, known as CPC international before 1997, was acquired by Unilever in 2000.

KC

Yair . . . it's interesting how different countries and areas have different tastes and traditions.

I have been cooking in a drum at between 275 and 375 for some time now . . . tried the low and slow but ran out of patience. I find even brisket or an eight or ten pound silverside finishes in around eight hours at very most . . . usually five or six

We absolutely love the food but after trialling most of the traditional sauces and rubs we have come to the conclusion that lots of smoke and spicy US style rubs and sauces are not for us . . . however as Aussies no meat based meal is complete with out a proper sauce or gravy.

We now treat our cooks as an ordinary "roast", catch the drippings (that is to say the essence of brisket, pork shoulder, chicken or what ever) and, with this base we make a proper flour thickened gravy or sauce and we find this far more satisfactory than introducing what to us are alien flavours . . . for sides we do mostly vegetables and salads

My biggest problem in the UDS is managing the cook so the drippings don't burn.
In light of this I have started construction of offset upright UDS which should solve the problem.

In effect the machine will be two cookers in one . . . I will be able to isolate the indirect cooking/roasting/smoking chamber with a damper and then I can grill, stir-fry or boil up prawns and crabs on the lower fire-box section.

I am sure this is not new and initial tests indicate it should work. I find messing around making stuff is half the enjoyment. (big grin)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yair . . . Bludawg.

Thanks for link on Texas brown gravy sauce . . . I don't feel so bad now about messing with tradition.

We make the gravy by taste while the meat is resting . . . no particular recipe, depends a bit on how many drippings. I catch them in a big baking pan, pour off some of the fat and deglaze with a bit of red wine or water over a low heat on a gas ring or the Weber kettle.

Once all the good bits are scraped from the bottom of the pan and emulsified we sprinkle in some plain wheat flour and stirring constantly work it into a smoothish paste and let the flour cook for awhile taking care not to burn it.

It can then be thinned down with milk, wine, water or any combination and the sauce is adjusted for taste with salt pepper, ketchup or Worcestershire sauce. Usually not much is necessary as we like that basic flavour of the meat essence to be predominant.

The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for the same time as the meat (or frozen) and for left overs we often just heat the gravy and pour it over the cold sliced or pulled meat.

Cheers.

Or your blackjack sauce, which I am completely obsessed with. That stuff after sitting in the fridge for a few days is magical.

I also made Bludawg's Blackjack sauce for a party and almost threw it out (not great when it's first made) but after is sits for a couple of days it was great. Definitely one of the more popular sauces I made for that party.

It's a Pittsburgh thing (fries dipped in mayo) for sure. Mayo on hot dogs as well. I was born and raised about 15 miles west of Pittsburgh. Folks look at me like I am nuts putting mayo on stuff like that down here.

I bet you make a scene with mayo on anything in Texas besides a sandwich. :twitch:

Make you some o this thank me later

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*
By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster
Louie Muller BBQ
1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste
In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.
Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.
* As originally printed in the October 24, 1984 Milwaukee Journal

Thinking of trying some of these home brewed sauces! Maybe just a half batch? Not sure I'd want to commit to 2 quarts till I see if my family likes them. How long should these keep in the fridge?

I also made Bludawg's Blackjack sauce for a party and almost threw it out (not great when it's first made) but after is sits for a couple of days it was great. Definitely one of the more popular sauces I made for that party.

The texans might throw stones at me for this but I add a touch of agave to it, gives it a little bit of something extra that I like.

I know people who dip their french fries in Wendy's frosty (chocolate soft serve ice cream)

Back