Boston Butts

rowdycowboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have a simple and good injection? I usually do one with pineapple juice but I am out. I have apple and orange juice is all I have. Any good injections would be great.

Depends on what you are injecting. I use homemade chicken stock for a lot of things. I have also found a product called Better than Bouillon in the supermarket. dilute it and use it.

I usually start with something similar to Chris Lilly's pork injection:
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

From there I have played with different combinations of spices and flavors. Maybe add some of your rub or add some heat with some pepper.

For Boston Butts:
2 cups of apple juice
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

Simple but good, you won't be disappointed.

For Boston Butts:
2 cups of apple juice
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

Simple but good, you won't be disappointed.

I subbed cider vinegar with Jack Daniels :)
Will see how it turns out tomorrow. :becky:

Pork butts can be great with no injections as well.

I usually start with something similar to Chris Lilly's pork injection:
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

From there I have played with different combinations of spices and flavors. Maybe add some of your rub or add some heat with some pepper.

I do the same, At 160 I foil pan the butt with a foil cover snug tight till it hits 195ish. When it's done I save the juice use a fat separator to get rid of fat and you have something good enough to drink straight. But you might just want to pour it on the pulled pork.

good luck!

John

Pork butts can be great with no injections as well.

Amen, Brother! A properly cooked Butt is w-a-y mosit and tender with good texture and Real PORK TASTE! Injection is unneccesary IMO. More often than not, the injected meat I've had was mushy! And I never score mushy meat above a 6.

I've never understood why people look for meat that isn't "enhanced" so they can add it themselves?

I agree with GTR and Mitch, rub it down real good and let it go. We inject at comps but I have never done it at home.

Scott

I'm with sfisch, if you've got a good lookin' butt and no judges to please, injection is optional. For family and friends I smoke it for a bit then foil early to hold in the juices (which I use later in a sauce/dip).

Hub

Back