Baked Bean question

S

Smoker

When u guys smoke beans, what kind of pot do u use in the smoker?

I use a Corelle 3qt casserole dish. Works great so far, and cleans up reasonably well. Foil probably would make more sense, though . . .

I would assume one that is not deep so there is more surface area where the beans meet the smoke. Now is there a way to get the smoke redirected onto the beans instead of the bottom of the pan?

Foil pan, great especially when you are going to get drippings all over everything. Also, the cleanup is a snap! Below is my prized cookware in action8) ! I moved the beans to the top shelf after wrapping the meat to get a little warmer temp.

Attachments

• New Smoker 6.jpg
    New Smoker 6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 112
I just take the top off a can of Bush's baked beans. Works fine.

Smoker said:
I would assume one that is not deep so there is more surface area where the beans meet the smoke. Now is there a way to get the smoke redirected onto the beans instead of the bottom of the pan?

The beans always get plenty smoky for me, no matter where the pan is placed. Just allow plenty of time. I also like to put em under a butt or briskett to catch the drippings, but never under poultry.

dutch oven IN the firebox with the cover off for a while, then just put them in the firebox. they suck up plenty of smoke. Stirr often to mix the smoke in.

BBQchef33 said:
dutch oven IN the firebox with the cover off for a while, then just put them in the firebox. they suck up plenty of smoke. Stirr often to mix the smoke in.

You mean On the box, then in???

BrooklynQ said:
I just take the top off a can of Bush's baked beans. Works fine.

I've also done it that way.I peel the label off.Its a great space saver in the cooker.

But , most of the time I use foil pans.Seems to get more smoke this way.No mess to clean up either way.

Willy T.

Attachments

• ws54.jpg
    ws54.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 102
thillin said:
You mean On the box, then in???

nope, put the dutch oven IN the firebox without the cover(to the pot) on it. surrounded by the coals.

You can also cover it and put some coals on top of the cover. Old cowboy cooking does all kinds of stuff in a dutch oven like that..sittin in the fire, with some coals on top.

another trick.... load up the dutch oven with some apple pie(or fruit pie of choice) filling. get he filling hot, then lay some popin fresh biscuits across the top.. Use lots of biscuits so you cover the entire top and sprinkle some turbinado on top of the biscuits. Put the oven in the firebox. put the cover on the pot and put some coals on top.. check back in about 30-40 minutes for fruit cobbler.

BBQchef33 said:
nope, put the dutch oven IN the firebox without the cover(to the pot) on it. surrounded by the coals.

You can also cover it and put some coals on top of the cover. Old cowboy cooking does all kinds of stuff in a dutch oven like that..sittin in the fire, with some coals on top.

Best food in the world is cook in a dutch oven.

You guys ever here of Jimmy Nixx? he got a show on satallite tv called Campfire Cafe. That guy cooks everything on open fire
using dutch ovens, spits, etc. He also has a web site with a lot of great recipes. I sometimes cook for a local Boy Scout troop and I can Knock those scouts out of there boots with some of Nixx's stuff.

pete

I have a small dutch oven but the finish is crinkly and its hard to clean the smoke stains off of it so most of the time I just use the foil meatloaf size pans.

sfisch said:
I have a small dutch oven but the finish is crinkly and its hard to clean the smoke stains off of it so most of the time I just use the foil meatloaf size pans.

TRICK:

Coat the outside of a pot with dishwashing soap before you put it in the smoke chamber. It bakes on, but washes right off and takes the smoke and black stuff with it.

Back