Door Gasket Question

Sjpatg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
guys

I the process of building a BW clone type smoker and am considering the door seals . I will be using 5/8 tadpole gasket but am considering mounting the gasket to the smoker body as opposed to the doors. Any opinions would be helpful , thanks

In this case it may be best to just say "every other builder puts the gasket on the door, there is probably a good reason" and leave it at that.

I think the tadpole gasket might look not so hot mounted to the cooker, where as on the door, a thin false wall/plate will hold it on and look professional

^^^^^^what he said^^^^^ AND....being a backwoods owner, I would have to think about cleaning it when I'm done with my cook. Drippings and such getting into the gasket.....

I would have to think about cleaning it when I'm done with my cook. Drippings and such getting into the gasket.....

I would think this could be a real issue. If the gasket gets too gunked up it will become hard an ineffective and might require replacement a lot more often than if it were on the door.

when you put the gasket on the main frame, it will get bumped into every time your are working..Swing the doors out of the way...also on your first burn, spray pam on the frame the rope will stick if you dont..even just veg oil

Back