• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

-> BBQ Brethren "One Dish Wonders" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Official Entry - Tamale Pie - Cook Thread here....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164587

Entry Photo.

E51246F2-3287-4092-9426-75675693924A-10108-00000D5168C57B3E_zps680d349a.jpg

Gore don't qualify. No reason, really, just general principal.:becky:

Shhhh... I know that, and you know that but if you REALLY are bucking for Dilly King we don't want Moose to know that. :loco:

:pout:

Well, I'll just take all my Dilly Bars and eat them myself.... Fark, I'm lactose intolerant. :doh:

My official entry...

My entry also has a back-story originating in Europe. I spent the summer of 1978 traveling around Europe with some friends. We were always on the lookout for good local food, that was cheap.

In Paris, we found this hole-in-the-wall place that had no formal menu. They had a chalkboard by the door that told you what they were cooking today. The price was excellent, and on that day, the meal was coq au vin. The meal was served family style. They put a big pot of food in front of us, and gave us all bowls. It was awesome.

The first step is to brown some bacon in cast iron. How can it be bad if that is the first step?

picture.php

You are supposed to coat your skinless chicken legs and thighs in flour, and brown them in the bacon fat. But, I chose to coat the chicken in flour, and spray it with canola oil, and brown it on the Smokey Joe over hot coals.

picture.php

Once the bacon is done, and the chicken is browned, I put them both aside.

I used the bacon fat to sauté my diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic.

picture.php

When they were nicely browned, I added half a bottle of dry red wine, and deglazed the pot. Then I put the bacon back in, and added the browned chicken, and some chicken stock. I cut some fresh thyme from the garden, and tossed that on top.

picture.php

I let that braise for about forty minutes. Towards the end of the braise, I browned some pearl onions in butter on the coals left on the Smokey Joe. I took a picture of the butter melting in the pan, but forgot to take a farking picture of the golden brown pearl onions. :doh:

Oh, well. The final step was to add a Beurre Manie as a thickener. It is just a 50/50 mix of room temperature butter and flour.

picture.php

This is how it looks on a plate. Nothing fancy, just good food.

picture.php

CD

Last edited:
Shhhh... I know that, and you know that but if you REALLY are bucking for Dilly King we don't want Moose to know that. :loco:

While I'm still on vacation, I thought I would drop in and see how things were progressing in this on topic quality discussion thread.

Things are going exactly as I feared.

See you all on Tuesday!

My entry also has a back-story originating in Europe. I spent the summer of 1978 traveling around Europe with some friends. We were always on the lookout for good local food, that was cheap.

In Paris, we found this hole-in-the-wall place that had no formal menu. They had a chalkboard by the door that told you what they were cooking today. The price was excellent, and on that day, the meal was coq au vin. The meal was served family style. They put a big pot of food in front of us, and gave us all bowls. It was awesome.

The first step is to brown some bacon in cast iron. How can it be bad if that is the first step?

picture.php

You are supposed to coat your skinless chicken legs and thighs in flour, and brown them in the bacon fat. But, I chose to coat the chicken in flour, and spray it with canola oil, and brown it on the Smokey Joe over hot coals.

picture.php

Once the bacon is done, and the chicken is browned, I put them both aside.

I used the bacon fat to sauté my diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic.

picture.php

When they were nicely browned, I added half a bottle of dry red wine, and deglazed the pot. Then I put the bacon back in, and added the browned chicken.

picture.php

I let that braise for about forty minutes. Towards the end of the braise, I browned some pearl onions in butter on the coals left on the Smokey Joe. I took a picture of the butter melting in the pan, but forgot to take a farking picture of the golden brown pearl onions. :doh:

Oh, well. The final step was to add a Beurre Manie as a thickener. It is just a 50/50 mix of room temperature butter and flour.

picture.php

This is how it looks on a plate. Nothing fancy, just good food.

picture.php

CD

Beautiful entry, CD! You really did this category justice. :clap2:

I also enjoyed reading all of your quality, on-topic description as well.

:biggrin1:

Thanks for telling me what that is. Thyme. :clap2: I think HT had it too.

Fresh thyme, if you have not used it, has a similar flavor to fresh oregano. Italians favor oregano, and the French seem to favor thyme. Both are really easy to grow where you and I live.

The French leave the thyme on the stems, because there is a lot of flavor in the stems. I never tried that until today, and they are right. I was amazed at the amount of good, mellow flavor came out of those fresh cut sprigs of thyme.

When the cook is done, you just pull the stems out, as you would with bay leaf. The stuff you don't want to eat is gone, but the flavor they created remains.

This is a big reason why I do throwdowns. I learn so much chit.

CD

Moose, it looks like you and I are the only ones with a palate here. I'll have to lower my standards to get in the running here. ........:mmph:

Back