Freezing a raw brisket - Does it matter?

CtTradArcher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up a full packer this past Thursday that I planned on smoking tomorrow or Thursday.
I also have a family picnic on September 8th that I volunteered to smoke a brisket for.
If I run out of time this week, I was thinking of freezing the brisket until the family picnic.
I heard that freezing causes capillaries to rupture, which then contributes to a loss of moisture.

My question is will freezing the brisket compromise the finished product in any way?

Thanks!

I have froze one before. I couldn't tell a difference. It came out really good.

I freeze them when I get a good price. For the amount of time you have until you cook on the 8th I'd wet age it if you have the room.

Odds are if it is cryovacd it has already been frozen once and thawed where you purchased it. Freeze it again.

freezing doesn't hurt. I buy in bulk and do it regularly...my thoughts on the capillary thing is if does bust the moisture is still inside the meat..the only moisture that woud be in caps is blood, and most beef is bleed fairly well before final butchering, and if not the blood would cook dry anyway

Freezing won't hurt a thing.
We both freeze and wet age briskets for use in competitions.

Wet aging consists of basically, letting the brisket sit in the fridge for weeks. We usually wet age our comp briskets for about a month. Helps with flavor and tenderness, although cooking it poorly will affect tenderness a LOT more than aging will help it.

Here's a good thread on wet aging: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126794

Thanks all. Sounds like I have a couple of options. Freezing might be the safest at this point, as I am not sure how old the brisket is now...

It is cyrovaced-- just keep it in the fridge and that is wet aging. I regularly go up to 50 days

Just stash your brisket in your fridge till you have to cook it on Sept 8th.

My roommate bought 3 briskets (one for his gf's dinner) and then 2 for my cookout on labor day weekend. They are just sitting in the fridge wet aging.

Odds are if it is cryovacd it has already been frozen once and thawed where you purchased it. Freeze it again.

Yep. It most likely was frozen at some point, and as long as there is no air in the package, meat freezes well for months.

Let the meat thaw completely before opening the cryovac.

CD

Back